Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Small Network with Router

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bickyz

Technical User
Feb 7, 2003
GB
I hav network of 10 windows 2000 prof computers and 1 win 2000 advanced server. All the ipaddress are in range of 90.0.0.x and subnet 255.255.255.0. These computers are in top floor of the building and on the first floor of the building there is one computer which has windows 2000 professional. There is a router in this first floor and the BT broadband wire is connected to this router. The windows 2000 professional computer in this first floor is connected to this router via cat5 cable. The server from top floor is also connected to this router. The server on top floor has 2 NIC one for LAN and one to Router. The one connected router has a ipaddress given by BT broadband.

Now is there any method i can connect to the server on top floor thru the computer on first floor. I hav administrator account and password. I tried to ping the servers address frm this first floor computer but it cannot connects.

If both 1st floor pro & top floor server are connected to the same router... (isn't the 1st floor machine in the same IP range? Are you running 2k server as a domain controller? Doesn't 1st floor machine belong to it (or same workgroup if you're using workgroup)
How are IP addresses assigned (manually - DHCP - through router or server)?

What are the other 10 top floor Pro machines connected to? (if not the router too - or a hub/switch connected to the router).

yea first floor win2k pro adn top floor server is connected to same router. First floor computer is just connect to the router. First floor computer has the ip address give n by bt broadband.
Regarding top floor they all r in same network and all has ip address range of 90.0.0.x and subnet 255.255.255.0. Ip add is assgined manually for this floors.

DHCP most likley will not work through the router (unless you install a relay agent-which you wouldn't for just one machine)...

ensure firewalls are allowing communication through the network address involved and then setup the 2kpro machine on 1st floor manually using the same subnet and network addressing schema...also, stop and start the dns client on the 2kpro PC, or do this at cmd:

ipconfig /flushdns

you may have a bad cache entry causing the problem...

AND, finally, is there a computer account in active directory for the 1st floor win2k PC?

Cheers,

Jatcan

Actually what i want to do is..i want this win2k pro computer to connect to the server or any clients upstairs... This computer has only 1 NIC and which is connected to the Router and has a fixed ip address given by BT Broadband.

You're gonna have a Win2kPro PC connected directly to the internet and you want to use the internet to communicate with other PC's in the building?

You will have to explain your network layout---if you are connected to a router, why do you need an internet IP from BT?

Don't you have a dhcp/proxy-NAT/firewall server?

Are all the PC's on the same subnet? How are you going to to file and print sharing over the internet securely?

One thing about broadband ISP's if the PC's are not on the same subnet you could time out before contacting another PC in the same house! Forget about the same building.

Run a VPN and forget about it.

Cheers,

J

It didnt helped me.
Still the comptuer on the first floor cannot connect to ther server on top floor.

This computer on first floor has 1 NIC and it has ip address given by ISP broadband, and it is connected to the router.

The server upstairs has 2 NIC one conencted to the router and has ip add given by broadband. and the second NIC has internal ipaddress for internal network. This comptuer is running that Winproxy.

All comp on top floor interal networl use static ip addres of range 192.168.0.x.

Depending on what you want to do, but the easy solution is to get a hub.

Connect only the server with the 2 NIC to the router.

NIC1 directly to the Router.

NIC2 connected to the Hub.

1st Floor computer conneted to the hub.

Upstair computers connected to the hub.

Of course, with so many computer, I assume you have a hub upstairs. Run a long cable run from the first floor to the upstairs hub will only cost you the cable instead of the cost of a hub.

That way the 1st floor computer is part of your internal network, instead of being on the outside.

If your server is acting as a router, than everybody would have access to the internet regardless, which should include the first floor computer.

Other than that, I assume the IP is dynamically assigned by your provider. How your server and 1st floor computer can't communicate is a bit beyond me, since they should be on the same subnet. But find out the IP and subnet for both and let us know.

Configure the upstairs router, to forward all ports needed by server, to accept incoming connections to the server router port from the downstairs IP, and vice versa...meaning this:

[root@callisto root]# smbclient //10.50.100.36/public -k
added interface ip=10.50.100.53 bcast=10.50.100.255 nmask=255.255.255.0
Doing spnego session setup (blob length=106)
Doing kerberos session setup
OS=[Windows 5.0] Server=[Windows 2000 LAN Manager]
smb: >
[root@callisto root]#

This shows up in the following TCPDump session:

[root@trasho doc]# /usr/sbin/tcpdump dst 10.50.100.36 -nn -q
tcpdump: listening on eth0
10.50.100.53.1026 > 10.50.100.36.88: udp
10.50.100.53.1033 > 10.50.100.36.445: tcp
================================================

Our Active Directory server is at address 10.50.100.36. Port 88 is Kerberos v5, and port 445 is microsoft-ds. The initial authentication gets two hits on port 88, but we get one more hit on port 88 in between a bunch of port 445s when we connect to the public share. Even when we transfer a file from the share, all traffic is still via port 445.

If you have any legacy PC's (win95,98,ME etc,etc, Winnt4 you know old stuff)try forwarding 138,139 throught the router to the server and vice versa also...It's do-able with some work....
================================================

HKinNYC had a good plan also, whats a hub nowadays anyways? 20 bucks or something...if you go with the hub soultion the BT IP is going to have to be dropped though and go with all internals

I'm going to drop out of this thread now--I've lost interest. Cheers!

I have a strange, stupid question that may solve the problem...

Why don't you move the computer that is running Server downstairs and have it connected to the BT Broadband directly, and put the rest of the computers (including the one that is currently downstairs) on the hub that is connected to the server right now?

This would solve the problem altogether, I would imagine, and reduce the amount of equipment that you are using right now.

Patrick.

Also, I realized after I posted that, I should note a couple of things..

If your broadband is like my MSN DSL Setup, you cannot set it up with this layout. Modem connects to hub/switch, computers connect to other ports on hub/switch. You either have to set it up like this modem connects to server computer, other computers connect to hub/switch which is connected to another Ethernet Card in server computer. Or, you have to set it up like this. Modem connects to ROUTER, other computers connect to router (can connect Server to router and other computers connect to server through hub/switch in Second Ethernet Card in back of server).

Using the ROUTER setup, you would install the router software on the Server first, then on the rest of the computers as 'second' or client computers.

A final note (just an obvious thing that most people overlook), when you make the changes to your setup, you need to shut the computers down (all of them), and unplug the routers, hubs, and the broadband modem from the outlets for a minute. Then plug them in, and repower the computers. That way everything has a chance to refresh with the new information.
Patrick.

He needs to run another cable, and pull an IP from the DHCP services of the server like all the top floor computers. (Disconnect from the NT router, connect to the router upstairs.) His internet access would be through the DNS services of the server iteself. You might be able to use wireless for this.

Although Patrick you a right, if he moved the server, he could use the existing cable run to connect both routers, and do a local drop downstairs as he does now.

BTW, which IP of the server did you try to ping? Since your 1st floor computer is assigned it's IP from your provider, it also get's it's gateway from the provider.

And do you have static IP or dynamic IP from your provider?

If you ping the server's internal IP, of course you can't reach it. If the IP is dynamically assigned you'll have to check your server's external IP all the time to make sure it hasn't changed.

As I've stated your best bet is to get your 1st floor computer on to the internal network and it should work all the same. I mis-read I thought your server was also on the 1st floor. But it should still be the same situation.

Get another long cable and connect your 1st floor computer to the hub/switch on the top floor.

All computer/1st floor computer <-> Hub/Switch <-> Server <-> Router.

Lots of solutions sounds good, but whose router is it? Provider's? Does he have access to config it? Does he know how to setup DHCP on the server and does he have the resource on the server to run DHCP? Does he have a current DHCP already running on the server? Is he assigning static IP's?

You'll have to give us more information if any of the advise given so far doesn't work.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back