Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Small Call Center

Status
Not open for further replies.

Larro112

Technical User
Mar 19, 2006
US
Greetings,
I'm looking to setup a small call center implementing voip. I need this call center to be able to handle up to 85 extensions. I am very interested in the Cisco Call Manger and hoping someone could point me in the right direction.

Which version of the cisco call manager would best fit my needs? What kind of hardware would it require? Also, if there are any good voip providers anybody has delt with that would be greatly appreciated.

If you actually want Cisco call center software then you're going to need IP Contact Center Express, now called Cisco Unified Contact Center Express. Take a look at the following page to determine if you need the standard, enhanced, or premium version:

I'm actually not that familiar with the call center stuff, but with that many phones you may be able to get CallManager Express instead of a full-blown CallManager. I'm just not positive that CME supports IPCC.

Typically what kind of router would be need to support the setup I'm looking for? I will be using a T1 connection if not two. Also, any suggestions on a Power Over Ethernet switch would be greatly appreciated.

I'd need to know a lot more about your environment to answer that question. However, if you're going to buy a new router then I'd suggest a 2800 series router, perhaps a 2811 or 2821. It really depends on what else you need it to do for you.

I forgot to mention the PoE switch. Without knowing any more details, I'd probably recommend a Catalyst 3560. It's a very capable switch and quite a bit less expensive than a 3750, although it's still rather pricey.

Even though you might save a lot of money by using non-Cisco switches, I'd recommend against it. If you're going to run Cisco IP telephony, then do it the way they recommend and use Cisco stuff end-to-end.

John

Can you think of anywhere I can get a layout of how the equipment should be connected? Such as a visio drawing.

Also, please let me know what you need to know about my enviroment.

Larry

It's beginning to sound to me like you're about to implement a call center and you have no idea how to do it. That's not a good way to start. ;-)

Seriously, I think you need a consultant to get you through this. This is not the sort of thing you want to do on your own with only the help from an Internet forum to guide you. You need someone who can sit down in a room with and you and discuss the details, and then who can turn around and implement them for you. If you don't already know how to do this, you're just asking for serious trouble by trying to do it yourself.

Do you have a reseller that you normally work with that could help you out?

Yes, we do have a consultant who specializes in voip. I just want to make sure he is not selling us stuff that we do not need. We have had resellers in the past who have tried to sell us a ton of stuff that was just overkill.

As you can tell I have never setup a call center myself ;). I just don't want to spoon feed a solution with out looking in to it.

Thanks for the friendly advice.

What equipment and arrangement is your consultant suggesting?

He is going to have that info for me in a couple days. I just want to be prepared when he comes in.

Given the requirements what would you suggest?

About 85 extensions and no more than 170 concurrent calls.

I really don't know that much about Cisco call center stuff. As I mentioned, you'd only need IP Contact Center Express for the call center piece. For call processing, you may be able to get by with CallManager Express as long as it works with IPCC Express. If it doesn't then you'll need a full-blown CallManager, but the smallest CallManager system isn't too expensive.

John, you have been a huge help. Thank you for your responses. As soon as I get more info on the hardware I will post it.

Larry

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back