Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Small Business VoIP

Status
Not open for further replies.

bmd2k3

Technical User
Feb 22, 2003
US
anyone out there doing VoIP in a small business environment.....tying together multiple remote offices ?

-Brian

We have an Avaya Definity S8700 at our main office, and are using the Avaya MS8300's w/VoIP at our branch locations. Have connected 11 of 18 so far, and will be completed by May 15.
Susan
Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer. - Mark Twain

I'm working on trying to do this with two Ericsson WebSwitch 100's... they work great for basick phone-to-hone... I even found a workaround to get it to work with our PBX... works fine on my internal network, trying to get it to work on 'real' IP now....

We have deployed about 15 IP phones a 4 port webswitch at one of our remote locations. These all connect back to our main building via a 3 mile wireless bridge.

We have just worked all of the bugs out of the system and it looks like it is about 99.9% reliable.

We are using the Ericsson Solution with a MD110 PBX with an ELU32 IP card in it.

I would recommend Nortels BCM platform. It is very scalable and is an all-in-one technology. If your looking for something a little bigger and more scalable (but more expensive) look into Alcatel. They are the leaders in integrated platforms. The Alcatel is full voice and data. Its capable of layer 3 switching for your data enviroment. As for the BCM, it is a very dependable and has alot of great features but does not do any data switching. Both platforms have Voice Mail built in and reporting. I donot know what the price range for the Alcatel is but the BCM is very affordable (around 16-25K loaded)Good Luck

I have a customer that has 4 Mitel 3300's in various places. The main site is in Oklahoma City, with branch offices in Calgary, Burmuda and Zurich, Switzerland. They each have about 10 sets and are connected with IP trunks. It works very well. Customer also has some softphones on laptops that they can use when they go branch to branch.

If you already have the telephone systems, you can tie the offices together over analog gateways. Quintum makes a 4 port gateway that will monitor network resources. All your telephone system sees is "anolog" ports. Cisco also makes a VoIP moudule for their modular siwtches and routers, if you already have a frame relay network in the existing infrastructure.

The smallest telephone system I personally have knowledge of company using successfully for VoIP networking is an InterTel Eclipse system. It was extremely cost effective to add the VoIP options to a small system. Robert Harris

I have installed several 3com NBX systems with no problem. Travelers and home workers can connect over broadband and have an extension just like they are in the office and they have a full featured softphone for those who just want to carry a laptop and not a phone.

The 3Com NBX is an IP/VOIP based system. Specifically designed to address the area you are investigating. Let me
know if you want to further discuss.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back