Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Small business Server 2003 previous deployed software and outlook 2007

Status
Not open for further replies.

ItIsSolutions

IS-IT--Management
Dec 29, 2003
US
I have a very weird issue that is happening.
We have small business server 2k3 and use to assign outlook 2k3 to all PC's this was removed after we got a PC with office 2k7. Now all of a sudden months later one of the PC's with Office 2k7 keeps wanting to install outlook 2k3 when ever outlook 2k7 is opened. This happens with any user that log's on to the machine. I have searched the registery high and low and removed all references for outlook 2k3 still didn't make a difference. Also completelly installed it again and then removed and it still keeps wanting to install. I really dont know what else to do.

It could be trying to install it as part of an SBS software deployment policy. You might try this to stop it:

Server Management -> Client Computers

Select the computer that's having the issue.

In the task list on the left, choose Assign Applications to Client Computers.

Add that computer to the list for assignments.

On the next page, uncheck as many boxes as you can, including the one that pushes Outlook 2003, and finish the wizard.

Dave Shackelford
Shackelford Consulting

Thank you for your reply however Outlook was removed from that wizard along time ago.
I did just verify this and outlook is no longer even an option.

Do you have roaming profiles? Could be that the profile is looking for the 2003 installation that it is used to seeing.

In these situations I normally point it at the MSI that it thinks it needs, and the situation normally resolves itself.

My 2c

No all profiles are local to each computer.
Yes if I point it to the Outlook 2003 application directory it will install A-Ok howeve then I can't install 2k7. So I have to manually remove 2003 and install 2007 and then it I am back to the system wanting to install 2003 again.

Once you've reinstalled Outlook 2003, what kind of blocking error do you get when you try and install Outlook 2007 at that point? Normally an upgrade is the best path in this scenario, so the blocking is confusing.

Dave Shackelford
Shackelford Consulting

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back