Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Small business backup solution?

Status
Not open for further replies.

macdiesel1

Technical User
Jan 22, 2009
US
Can I please get some suggestions for a good backup solution for a small business with maybe 500gb of data?

What specifics do you require for your "small business"?
Personally, I use Jungledisk for daily backups of the server I use for my wife's business. So far, it has dutifully performed the backup and I was able to restore lost files (I accidently caused the loss) with a few mouse clicks.

I use the "server" edition which runs on a headless server and is monitored on another device via a remote client application.

Online backup is not desired for the person/business I am helping. They just want to start doing backups of their data and databases. They currently are not doing any! Yikes!! I am looking for software and hardware soltuions.

Then speaking generically, hard drives, when not serving in a capacity where you aren't depending on them for daily operation are quite reliable. One, fairly inexpensive option would be to use a separate hard drive, such as one that connects via USB to a PC on the LAN. Then you can use a daily incremental backup utility to make an image of the system(s) that you wish to back up. The prototypical backup method is tape, but that will run at least 3x-4x the cost of the hard drive approach. You could pick up a USB 1.5 TB drive for about $150 (US).

The most basic of the incremental backup utilities that I am aware of is rsync and there are a lot of front ends for it. You didn't specify what your OS requirements are and this will impact your options.

As you are looking for about 500 gig of storage capacity, this pretty much rules out optical media such as DVDs. If you do consider them, be sure to get archival quality ones. The best seem to be Taiyo yuden (spelling) DVD+R if they are the ones made in Japan (only).

I also suggest that you take a gander through the last several pages of posts in this forum as this question has come up in the past and you could gain some insight from those discussions.

Thank you very much Noway2. You have been a great help.

Online backup is really the smart way to go in ADDITION to some on-site backup.. See if you can convince them of that. It's perfectly secure and you get the benefit of off site storage without somebody having to schlep a hard drive home. People are very unreliable too when given the backup "off-site backup transporter" title.

hello!
there are many small business backup solution.one of them is quantum govault backup solution.it is a SMB Backup solution and is a driver with the disk based cartridge for getting backup.the cartridge capacities is from 40GB to 320GB and govault softwre support quantum deduplication technology for reduce needed storage for data up to 20:1.in result use from this technology a 40GB cartridge save data up to 800GB.
for more information about govault also see:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back