Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Small Applications Development Start-up

Status
Not open for further replies.

foundryqa

Technical User
Oct 17, 2001
US
Has anyone started a small applications development firm? I've been kicking around the idea for a while, but am unsure how to market my services. The apps that I've made in the past have worked out well, but the users didn't know they needed the app until they were given it. That makes it a little hard to market an idea.

"You may have no idea that you need a db app or web site, but after I build it for you, you'll be surprised how helpful it is." --Impossible to sell.

Has anyone had a similar experience?

What kind of "small application" are you talking about? I worked with a guy developing what I call "mom-pop applications" for about 6 years.

I run a small applications & IT consultancy firm. I've had a similar problem...my best client asked me in to talk about an Access database and ended up getting us to provide a complete system. They didn't even realise it was possible before we spoke to them. There are two things: contacts and foot-in-the-door. Get to know as many people as possible as they may talk to someone and recommend you, and/or produce an introductory offer that will get you through the door and enable you to find out their real needs. Jeremy Nicholson, Director of a UK-based Java and Data Warehousing consultancy

Thanks LA824 and jnicho02,

I am talking about mom-pop type stuff. When you started out, were you employeed somewhere else? How did your employeer handle the fact that you were moonlighting? Do you have a pretty good stream of repeat customers? How long did it take for you to get a foot hold in your market?

Thanks in advance,

Fred

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back