Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

sm56 modem (very slow or disconnects)

Status
Not open for further replies.

rewaji

Programmer
Jun 26, 2002
AU
hi,

i have have installed a new sm56 modem with the latest drivers. the modem connects normally and quite quickly BUT after connecting it does'nt get any data at all. the received bytes is only in the range of 300-400 bytes or so. then afetr staying like that for 3-4 mins the modem disconnects automatically. please help !

rewaji

Here's what to do. Connect with your modem, open up a dos prompt, find an ip that you know is connected to the net, and ping it. See if you get a reply. If that doesn't work, try a new modem, take your old one back.

Jeff

thanks for responding !

i have tried your advice - the ping IS working, so no problems there. however the problem persists. i have tried reducing the speed. At 19200 the modem is receiving data in very small amts and at 38400 it fails to connect. i guess i have to set something in between - queston is, how do i do that ?

regards

rewaji

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back