Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

SLP Directory Agent has failed 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

JGliddon

IS-IT--Management
Aug 4, 2001
I just loaded NW 5.1 and applied SP2a. I was getting the usual SLP msg that I normally get when I do a new install. I usually just load SLPDA.nlm and it sets it up under unscoped. I dont have a firm grasp on this part of novell, but loading this NLM usually fixes the msg. When I tried to load it on my new server I got:

Loading module SLPDA.NLM
Service Location NDS Directory Agent (RFC2165)
Version 1.07b June 29, 2000
Copyright 1996-2000 Novell, Inc. All rights reserved.

SLP Directory Agent has failed logging into server or creating initial context. ccode= -632 SERVER-5.00-1553: Module initialization failed.
Module SLPDA.NLM NOT loaded
??? Unknown Command ???

What can I do?

Maybe this will help point you in the right direction?

SLP Warning Messages in NetWare 5.1

Dear Ab-End: After I install NetWare 5.1, I keep getting an SLP warning message. How do I get it to stop appearing?

— SLP Me in SLC

Dear SLP Me: NetWare servers use SLP (a Service Location Protocol much like DNS) to perform service lookup among servers, clients, and so on. An SLP Directory Agent (SLPDA) runs on a server and stores services. Since NetWare 5.1 servers use SLP, there needs to be at least one SLP Directory Agent on the network. If you're getting this message, it means that your server cannot contact a SLPDA for service lookup. So the question you should ask is this: is there at least one SLPDA on my network?

If there is, try to find out why the server is getting the message. For example: Are communications down between the server where the error message appears and the server running the SLPDA? Is the server that hosts the SLPDA (SLPDA.NLM) up and running?

If there is not at least one SLPDA on your network, load SLPDA.NLM on one of the servers giving the message (you only need one), and accept the default configuration. After the initial load, put the "LOAD SLPDA.NLM" statement in your AUTOEXEC.NCF. For more information regarding SLP and SLPDA configuration, consult the NetWare documentation. (Answer provided by Vern Rawcliffe of Novell)

I do have other servers that have SLPDA running fine. Communications between the servers are fine. As I stated in my original posting, I usually the the SLP warning msg when I first install novell and the server comes up, at that time I load SPLDA.nlm and take the default configuration settings and all is well.

On this server I am getting the error msg that is shown in my initial posting.

Thanks Donnadee for your input. Anyone else wanna give it a shot?

You should only really have two DA's (depending on how many servers you have) the you should point the other servers to these by amending SLP.CFG on these other servers. The only servers that should have SLPDA loaded is your DA servers, not the others.

Might be worth reading up on it on the Novell website. I have seen it go completely wrong at one company which resulted in a total systems loss for three weeks until my company fixed it for them. Mind you, their IP config, their NDS replicas and their patch levels was all wrong too!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back