Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Slower than I would like 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

dynamictiger

Technical User
Dec 14, 2001
AU
I have a new computer running Windows XP Pro. The system is in fact only about 2 weeks old. Naturally I have been loading a lot of software programs since then as the machine came with only the operating system.

Although I disk clean, defrag and scandisk regularly it seems to me the system is running slower than it should. I suspect a program is running in background but cannot see from the task manager which program to shut down and trace.

Anyone got any suggestions?

You have two tools you need to use:

1. MSCONFIG as this will show you that startup program entries and Services;

2. Task Bar to show running processes and resource usage.

There are two good resources for figuring out what occasioned those process and service entries:

For processes:
For Windows Services:
You might benefit by looking at your virtual memory and cache settings, right-click My Computer, Properties, Advanced.

You would also benefit by having at least 512 MB of RAM.

I had thought it was an update thing, but wasn't sure. I have never had a problem with any of the microsoft updates before. Must turn off the auto update thing.

XP is IMHO slooo - needs at least 256MB RAM. As a matter of fact after about 2 weeks I had had enough and installed W2K.
Not to mention that the new interface made me wanna barf...
On the upside it came with so many drivers, that bit of it was great and the network setup was a breeze.

This is the second computer I have owned that came preloaded with XP.

The first one XP Home this one XP Pro.

I have never run into any significant performance issues, but never had less than 512MB of RAM.

I must agree though the new interface took a lot of adjusting on my part, but I have found once I adjusted it does not bother me in the slightest.

Try this to liven up XP a bit, get rid of some junk:-
1/ Windows Explorer-c:\WINDOWS\Prefetch.
2/ Click on edit then, select all. That will highlight all folders
3/ Press Delete on your keyboard to send files to recycle bin.
4/ restart computer.
New found 'snap',it does work.

jonjontheMighty

You can also setup XP to use classic windows instead of the pukky XP screens

I have seen this slowdown with a lot of Dell computers. Irrespective of type, have you downloaded KAZA for music? This comes with real problem files like 'savenow' which can take 100% of processor power.

Linney mentioned earlier (Apr 18, 2003) that Microsoft Security Update (MS03 - 013 Q811493) was causing a lot of slow downs. I just want to post here that Microsoft has officially confirmed this:

Be sure to expand the Technical details.

As quoted below, one should not interpret this to mean that all XP machines that have applied this update are affected.

"Microsoft will shortly publish a Knowledge Base article, which will be linked from this bulletin, that will describe the known circumstances that can cause the performance problems to manifest themselves, and what affected users can do to reduce the impact of the problem."

Another round of this patch is out:

Microsoft Security Bulletin MS03-013

Buffer Overrun in Windows Kernel Message Handling could Lead to Elevated Privileges (811493)

An excerpt from the Technical Details section:

"Microsoft re-issued this bulletin on May 28, 2003 to advise on the availability of an updated Windows XP Service Pack 1 patch. This revised patch corrects the performance issues that some customers experienced with the original Windows XP Service Pack 1 patch."

See:

I haven't tried this patch out...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back