Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

slower AGP 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

SQLScholar

Programmer
Aug 21, 2002
GB
I have a computer with a Gigabyte GA71-XE mobo. It has a geforce 2 MX 32meg card. A few days ago i ran SISOFT sandra, which told me that both the card and Mobo support the higher AGP port speed (is it 2* or 4*????) but they are not using it.

I cant find the setting to change them so they do use this.... i have tried BIOS to no avail.

Any ideas??

TIA

Dan ----------------------------------------
There are 2 types of computer, the prototype and the obsolete!!

You may need to load or update the motherboard chipset drivers to max out your video use...

Not sure if the Gigabyte GA71-XE supports 4X AGP, look in your manual or visit Gigabytes website for specs on the board. Martin Replying helps further our knowledge, without comment leaves us wondering.

Hey,

It says

1 AGP slot
- AGP 66 / 133 mhz 3.3V device support

So.... does that mean i have it or not??

TIA

3.3 V is the AGP 1.0 specification ie. 1X or 2X

So your mobo does not support 4.0X

Regards. Running a PC without backups is like driving a car without a seatbealt. Your knack'ed when you crash!

You didn't do what I told you to do did you?
It took me less than a minute to visit Gigabytes website, look up discontinued motherboard models and check the specs of your board.
If you are going to continue to use this forum then the Technical Experts will expect you to carry out at least simple research for yourself before you post a question
As I said earlier, I doughted that your motherboard supported 4X AGP and I was right, only 2X is supported.

Martin Replying helps further our knowledge, without comment leaves us wondering.

Sorry about that paparazi, I took hom at his word that he had looked - From the link you posted he obviously hadn't.

I'll not fall for that again.

Regards,

John. Running a PC without backups is like driving a car without a seatbealt. Your knack'ed when you crash!

Excuse me, but i did go to the gigabyte website

- the UK one

and got the motherboard manual in PDF format. I wrote exactly what it said under SLOTS regarding (i have the sheet, printed out in front of me.

go to

page 9. It is the specs for the Mobo. Please look at slots... what i typed is exactly what its states (nearly word for word. Due to not understanding what it meant).

So i think i can quite happily state that if you wish to use these forums can you please check the other side of the story before you berate someone. You can clearly see on this sheet that what i have said is correct.

This kind of attitude to try to give people help, doesnt!

I don't mean to berate anyone - but what paparazi said still holds, "...Technical Experts will expect you to carry out at least simple research for yourself before you post a question.".

At the top of the thread you have mis-named your motherboard. I entered the following into google and within 2 clicks I had the info you wanted;

GA-7IXE +specification

Now get out of that! Running a PC without backups is like driving a car without a seatbealt. Your knack'ed when you crash!

It was the breration from paparazi.

My get out is this paparazi said "look in your manual or visit Gigabytes website for specs" so i went to the gigabyte website, and found the Manual..... right like he said "look in manual".... i did this and did not understand the writings in this.

So i posted my findings, and you were kind enough to reply and explain what i needed to know. To follow this there was then a flurry of i didnt look it up.... well quite blatently i did, i just didnt understand what i had found.

Maybe i didnt go to the specs page, but i did what was asked in looking in the manual, and was confused.

Generally in this forum i have found people to be very helpfull, understanding, and generally great - but when all was answered and i had my explaination (which couldnt have took too long), i then get a response telling me i didnt look. I look.... i found.... i didnt understand.

Sorry John this wasnt a dig at you, i am appriciative of the help you have gave me and i am also appreciative of the help of paparazi at the start, but was the "have a go" by paparazi really just??

Thanks

No problem Dan.

A little steam blowing never hurt anyone.

Quite clearly a mis-understanding.

This is quite clearly something to learn from - And we are all learning.

Posters can never provide too much information, all too often they provide too little information. Posting the links you referenced cleared up the situation in double-quick time.

To all posters - help us to help you. The techies are not all-knowing, if you reference material on the web, please post those links so that it can be viewed by everyone who wnats to try to help.

Don't take it to heart Dan - We all recognise good intentions. By the way have you heard the saying, "nobody is perfect"?

Well I'm nobody. ;-)

Keep smiling,

John. Running a PC without backups is like driving a car without a seatbealt. Your knack'ed when you crash!

I am not a religous man, nore do i intend to be...

But i say "Ahmen" to that and to this post.

I think that peice of elightenment requires a STAR!!

Thanks again,

Dan

:) ----------------------------------------

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back