Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Slowdown: Virus Scanner <-> Client/Server Access

Status
Not open for further replies.

waldemar

Programmer
Nov 15, 2001
DE
It was discussed in some Threads that the use of a Virus scanner on the clients machine slows the network performance of access connection way way down. The worst of all - was said - to be McAffee. (which is of course installed where my database will be used.)

Has anybody more expierence in this subject? What is a decent virus scanner that doesnt slow down but still protects? Or is this there a McAffee Configuration to exclude all SQL/MDB transfers? Anything I should tell the network guy?

We are currently experiencing the same problem. The problem arose after we converted from Acc97 to Acc2K (8 terminals on a network). The app slowed down significantly. There are apparently many reasons - but Virus Scan was found to be one part of the problem. When we set Norton AntiVirus to ignore Access.exe and .mdb files we improved performance by about 25%. Another local developer with the same scenario and same problem informed me that in their testing he saw the same results. We are still trying to fine tune this and desparately need to regain speed elsewhere as well.

I was told that an excessive amount of email messages stored locally can also cause performance problems with virus protection software. I have not independently verified this. As evalesthy said, perhaps limiting the scan's scope will help.

From everything that I have read, it's a tradeoff - if you have an older computer with a lot of files and/or programs running, then performance will suffer. You can turn it off during times when you aren't downloading, etc., but you can potentially open yourself up to getting infected. I would much rather be in a position of preventing a virus than trying to remove one.

K.Hood

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back