Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Slow xp clients on 2000 server domain

Status
Not open for further replies.

channelu

IS-IT--Management
Sep 6, 2004
GB
OK, we're not experienced IT guys so take it easy here but...just installed 2000 server with a domain and upgraded all clients to xp pro. The clients all now run very slowly even when just accessing files on the local machine. Any thoughts?

check your client´s dns setings, all clients need to have your DNS server as primari dns server.

hope it helps , sorry mi english

coco

Channelu
If you type ipconfig /all on one of the workstations, what results do you get.
coco has a good suggestion but the result of the above commmand will let you know much of your tcp/ip configurations.
How is your dhcp setup? and before the upgrade what operating system was on the pc,s?

I had the exact same problem, and carried out the following which speeded up LAN browsing:

1. Forced the classic themes to all XP desktops via GPO
2. Removed the terminal services client and web services client from desktops.
3. Used only necessary network protocols.

Hope this has helped,

Mike

Thanks guys...seems the DNS was set manually on each pc to be to external DNS so none of them could find the domain controller. I've now set the primary DNS on each client to be the internal IP address on the DC and the secondary to be the external DNS. Not sure how to set the DC DNS to also resolve external addresses though...

What to do is to set the DNS server for the DC to the DNS server on your network..(it may be itself).

As far as resolving external addresses, in the DNS mmc, right click the server and select properties..under forwarders enter IP addresses of your ISP's DNS servers...

Other places to look to speed up your XP clients:

Make sure IEEE Authentication box is unchecked (under Network Connections > Properties > Authentication tab).
This option is used for Wireless network cards. Can cause significant delays when writing (saving) files to the network.

Computer Browser and Web Client services should be disabled (Control Panel > Administrative Tools > Services).
The Computer Browser service on XP will try to be Master Browser on the network. Can cause 30 to 45 second delay when logging onto network. Also causes delay when clicking on network share.
The Web Client service is only required if you are doing programming on an Internet web server. Just one more place your computer will look for network resources.

Help! I've fallen and I can't reach my beer.
cheers.gif

BEERHUNTER2:

Do you know of a way to manage that change (nchecking IEEE setting)? What I mean is, to force the change from the server?

Also, if that is intended for wireless network cards, why is it enabled by default on desktop PCs? Odd.

Thanks

TopRung:

Sorry. I don't know how to set up that change from the server.

Also, don't know why it is enabled by default, but Microsoft does have an article about this setting in their knowledge base. Here's a link to start you off.

Help! I've fallen and I can't reach my beer.
cheers.gif

Thank you Beer! Valuable information! If you have more knowledge/resources on optimizing the network, please post. Once again, thank you much!

"May the best day of your past, be the worst day of your future!"

I'm another not real experienced IT guy who has the same problems as Channelu - I just switched from an NT Domain with XP Pro clients to a 2000 Active directory with the same XP Pro clients (about 35 on my LAN, very simple subnet setup).

Since the change, logging onto the network takes anywhere from 3 - 10 minutes, and accessing network shares can take 20 - 60 seconds. With the NT domain, network shares were almost instant and logon to network took 30 seconds to 2 minutes.

Here is my setup:
I am NOT running DNS or WINS on my active directory domain controller, I am running DHCP on this server.

Most of the client PCs have staticly assigned IP info with external DNS servers. Laptops have dynamic DHCP. Also, I try to make sure only TCP/IP protocol is running, but there may be a couple of PCs with more then this.

Here are my questions:
Almost all the clients DO have Computer Browser service running, can I safely disable that service on all the clients and just leave it running on the server?

Also - is setting up WINS and DNS just a matter of walking through the steps in the wizard or does anyone have any helpful hints or pitfalls to avoid?

What does GPO stand for?

Thanks in advance to anyone who spends some time getting back to me on this! I evolved into my current role as IS Coordinator from an unrelated position at a smaller company, and this is my first experience with 2000 Active Directory running my domain.

hi, do the DNS wizard nothing more is required DNS is a integral part of AD and you should never run a AD without a DNS all de network slow down if you do it

sorry my english, and good luck with your new role.

coco10

Well GPO is Group Policy Object... google will return much info on it.
When setting up DNS, the wizard does guide you to some extent. But first, prior to install, I would make sure you can PING all machines to rule out networking related issues.

When installing the DNS component, make sure not to click on the CHECK BOX for Networking Services under add windows components. This will check and install everything for networking services, and this can cause problems. Just select networking and click DETAILS... only install services you need.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back