Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

slow win200

Status
Not open for further replies.

green250

IS-IT--Management
Sep 22, 2003
CA
reinstalled win2000 about a month ago because of slowness,
whenever I open my computer it takes along time to list all the drives, I have about 7 drive mappings, 2 cdroms and 1 hdd, it goes to the first cdrom and stays there for about a minute or two, but if i reboot and try it, it is ok for a little while, also opening some applications is slow intermittently, I dont have much running when this happens and I have 256 mb ram (just added another 128 and still same thing) with a newer processor. any ideas?

Here's a list of things I would do:

-Press ctrl+alt+delete and go into the task manager. Have a look at the which services are using up the most CPU. Note anything taking up a lot of the CPU.

-run 'disk cleanup' to clean any files

-disable any unecessary services you don't need. Have a look at this page and read it top to bottom:
-Stop unecessary programs booting up
Use the system configuration editor to stop programs unecessarily booting. You can copy msconfig from a WinXP machine and put it in your Windows\System32 directory. Run start > run > Type: msconfig > go to startup tab > untick any boxes which contains things you don't need to start.

-run a defrag

I'm guessing a program is chewing a lot of CPU usage or has a memory leek.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back