Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Slow validation 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ivana

MIS
Aug 1, 2001
DK
Hi,

I have a small LAN with a W2K server. The server is a file and print server. 3 workstations with W2K pro and Office 2K.

I can connect to the server in few seconds. When it comes to network preparations it takes forever ( 1 to 3 minutes)!

Can anyone help please?

Thanks in advance.

Vanni

I have seen this problem....and it does give an ache...there is no single elixr to this problem...it goes away and till date i have not been in a position to document as to exactly why it went away....Maybe my answer is quiet hazy..but believe me..each admin goes through this nightmare.

Do check out
1. Proper N/W driver update the driver.
2. Install hfntchk, and see if your patches are up to date.
3. check your error viewer and tell me if you see something there out of place...and we could resolve this issue

Another reason for a slow authentication is the security parameters you may have in place. W2K has become this all in one security powerhouse and a lot of the defaults are set to on, which in turn takes a bit longer to log on.

If its "Applying security settings...." then change this reg key:

HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon\GPExtensions\{827D319E-6EAC-11D2-A4EA-00C04F79F83A\MaxNoGPOListChangesInterval to 2760. This increases the time betweek checking the local security policy hasnt changed. It works honest!! Shouldnt effect Group Policy applications.

Also make sure that the "Status" key is set to 0 (zero).

See how you get on!

What are the client PC's running on them? This could be a lot of things but most likely something very simple to fix. If you are using systems older than Windows 2000 Pro clients, then are you pointing them directly to WINS first and broadcast second (H-Node) for name resolution? It may sound ridiculous but I've seen in even the smallest of network setups that if name resolution isn't specified and broadcast takes place then it can take a little time for authentication. (I'm assuming your Windows 2000 server is running default/mixed mode). Like I said most likely it's something simple.

Hi,

I have the same problem a small LAN with a W2K server active directory. The server is a file and print server too. 4 workstations with W98se

When it comes to network preparations it takes up to 3 minutes!

The worksstation can see the server shared directories in a short time.but the server put 30 seconds to see the shared directories of a workstation through the network neiboor.
i eliminate the media problem by installing a crosswired cable beetween the server and a workstation and the pb is the same.idem changing network card setting( force to 100 MB instead auto sense.

Can anyone help please?

Thanks in advance.

FRench tech.

Let me apologize, I just saw where you do have Windows 2000 Pro on the clients. If you haven't done so then definitely make sure you are up to date on the hotfixes, there are some fixes for slow authentication although from what I saw they may not apply to your situation.

Something else you may want to try is submitting a record in the LMHOSTS file first on one of the Win2K Pro systems with the name of the DC in there, after that reboot the client and see if you get a faster response. I've seen this so many times with delays in name resolution causing authentication problems. If this works then there is a problem somewhere in the name resolution process on your LAN.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back