Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Slow unwanted shut down after POST

Status
Not open for further replies.

chylok

Technical User
Mar 28, 2004
GB
I'm building a new system:

MSI P4N-SLI
Pentium D 840
1G DDR2
X800GT video card
400W PSU (both power connectors are plugged in)

Something weird is happening, it has me stumped.
The boot up gets by POST no problem, no error beeps, I can even get into the BIOS settings.

Then after 20-30 seconds the video signal to the display goes, the CPU fan gradually slows down, but doesn't stop for another 10-20 seconds. It's definitly not momentum which keeps it going.

I've been able to check the CPU temp in BIOS, it's around 48 degrees and not increasing (big heatsink with pipes and stuff), so I don't think that's the problem. Heatsink is on correctly with paste. (BTW I hate the LG775 plastic mounting clips)

Reset the BIOS by removing the battery for a few seconds. No change.Tried a new battery also.

Changed the PSU, problem still there!

Removed the Video card. No change (obviously no image on screen)

Processor is fresh out of the box, I've used ESD strap and an anti-static mat.

The mobo has been powered out of the chassis, in case of a short somewhere, tried both PSU's.

All I want to do is play Oblivian, and I'm beginning to think I can hear the hardware laughing at me!!
Someone please help before I give the rig a stomping!

Any advice is most welcome.

Chylok

Try the board with a lesser video card to see what happens, and/or make sure you have no TV-OUT connections plugged in to the Video Card itself..

Also, make sure that the BIOS is reporting the correct Hardware information for your CPU and memory. If your memory is 2 sticks, try removing one and the other (leaving one in DDR Bay 1 at all times)

Make Sure that the BIOS is not overclocking or underclocking your memory (DDR2 = 533Mhz) and that it holds the correct speed for your CPU.

HTH

JaG

yosherrs.gif

[tt]'Very funny, Scotty... Now Beam down my clothes.'[/tt]

Thanks Jag,

I've solved the problem, needed a BIOS update.

All works great now.

Cheers,

Chylok

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back