Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

SLOW Transfering though Linksys Router

Status
Not open for further replies.

rirusstek2

Technical User
Dec 10, 2003
US
I just got a WRT54GS router and transfering a file, big or small, to another computer on the Network takes forever.

I contacted Linksys and they suggested changing the MTU to Manual 1472. Did that .... same.

Then they suggested to lower 10 by 10 ie. 1462, 1442.... got gown to 1400 and same.

Running WinXP on PC one is wireless the other two are cable.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

1. Make sure your running at 100Mbps on the cable and 54 on the wireless
2. Make sure there is not any other activity on the network like a worm or a spooling print job.
3. Try to hook it up to a cheap 10/100Mbps to see if it makes a difference.

Well, thanks for your help.

After trying all the number changes suggested by the "technicians" at Linlsys and several other tweeks and changes, after Changing Etehernet cards ..... the list is long, I decided to return the Linksys Router.

I returned it, bought me a Belking Router plugged it in and INMEDIATELY, I mean inmediately, the transfer were super fast. No more problems in my network. Configured the Wireless in no time and the transfer almost instantly.

All I did was unplug the Linksys Router, go to the store and returned it, then plug in the Belking exactly the same way the "other one" was and it started working with transfer as fast as the can be.

The problem is the LINKSYS ROUTER, no doubt at all.

Thanks to all for your help.

Regards.

Shame because I have Belkin stuff and Linksys stuff and I'd say the Linksys stuff is way better. Perhaps just needed a new firmware or something.

Anyway - glad your LAN is working properly now :)

Rob Butterworth, MCP (XP & Server 2K3)
Grumpy by name, helpful by nature

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back