Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Slow traffic from XP client to W2K server

Status
Not open for further replies.

w8in

Technical User
Nov 3, 2002
US
This is NOT a slow logon problem!

The W2K server is not set up as a server, but has shares that one department connects to (The actual main file server is a Netware server, but this department needed the Windows server for a program that doesn't run on Netware).

Workstations : Windows XP Pro, SP1, Gigabit NICs

Issue : when starting the (financial) programs from the server, it takes around 25 seconds before the program comes up. Should be a couple of seconds.

On one of the workstations the problem has been resolved (the 4 workstations are identical). I had tried several things there, to no avail. But after replacing the 10/100 switches with Gigabit switches, that computer is flying fast.
Problem is...I've tried so many tweaks and settings a while ago and they didn't seem to work beforehand (before replacing the switches)...now I don't know what fixed it.

Does anyone have any idea what I should look at?

TIA

i would guess it has something to do with DNS setup of the WinXP boxes. Whenever I have seen performance problems with XP and 2K servers, it has never had anything to do with hardware, but rather how the xp box was seeing the win2k box.

This has been resolved. Client told me it was slow on all 3 computers, while it was only on one.
The reason was that this computer was hooked up to a 4-port 10/100 hub. A network printer was placed on the desk, but there was no additional network jack available, so they put the hub in to split the connection.
After connecting directly to the jack the speed issue was gone.

The dreaded "Everyone is having a problem doing Anything" symdrome. Always turns out to be one or two people with one app.

Why do we suffer them? :-(

Stu...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back