Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Slow to login in to domain?

Status
Not open for further replies.

furious5

MIS
Jan 8, 2003
GB
I have 3 XP Pro machines on our network. All the machines seem slow to login in to the domain - normally around 2 - 3 minutes in total.

Does anyone know of any underlying setting which could be changed to overcome this?

do you have AD in your nerwork ?
if you have it make sure you enter DNS corracet

Ahmed

At the moment there is only an external DNS server set up for connecting to the internet. We do not have an internal DNS server.

I have same problem too.
My DC is a windows 2000 Server with AD with I did not setup the DNS

When XP pro terminal login to domain it takes more the 10 mins to login

pls help

Did you do a keyword search? XP has this known issue with numerous posts, this is often a DNS issue, so simply search various forums such as XP and Windows 2000 Server for keywords such as XP slow login/logon domain:

faq779-4017
thread779-540080 (see my posts here dated 9/27 & 9/30)

dbMark

The asyncronous loading of networking during the boot up process is one common cause of this behavior. This speeds up the login process in a stand-alone workstation by allowing the user to log in with cached logon credentials before the network is fully ready.

To disable this "feature" and restore your domain logons to their normal speed, open the MMC and add the group policy snap-in. Under Computer Configuration-->Administrative Templates-->System-->Logon, change "Always wait for the network at computer startup and logon" to ENABLED.

This can be fed to clients via a group policy from a Windows 2000 server by upgrading the standard policy template with the XP policy template. Since this is an XP only command, non-XP systems will ignore it in a domain distributed group policy.

see: faq779-4017

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back