Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

SLOW Terminal Service Response

Status
Not open for further replies.

byrne1

Programmer
Aug 7, 2001
US
I have two servers running server 2003 - one serves as my DC and runs my point-of-sale software, the other serves strictly as a Terminal Service server which users log onto to access the POS software. My AD has dual 2.8Ghz Xeon processors as well as 2GB RAM. My TS server also has dual 2.8Ghz Xeon processors and 8GB RAM. I have about 60 users that are logged in all day and the response time is painfully slow.

What can I do to speed things up?

Maybe delays are subject of using roaming profiles for your users? When profiles become bulky roaming them can cause delays and even profile corruption. If so, try avoiding them. We excluded them and now maintaining desktop management for terminal connections with Desktop Authority from Scriptlogic ( Logon time has shortened especially for users that have complex profiles.

Use the pathping command from the remotes to the server and the reverse. You should have few if any lost packets, if you have losses, adjust the MTU settings.
Check your switch ports for errors, more than a few, generally wire issues. If you have few errors, turn off flow control on both the switch ports involved, and on the client NICs.

Chernobyl disaster..a must see pictorial

I would check video resolution and color depth also, if they can run in 800x600 15 bit i would set them at that. you will see better performance across WANs, if all clients are local on the 100mb LAN resolution and color depth shouldnt be the issue.

RoadKi11

TECHNOME:
I am doing the pathping right now and will post my findings.

ROADKI11:
Is there a way to do this via GPO or something similar without having to modify the connection settings on each remote PC?

Thanks to you both for your suggestions.

Well, I tried the PATHPING command with little success. It seems that our Bellsouth network serves as a blackhole for this command. I can PING my remote computers but PATHPING dies somewhere in the bowels of the Bellsouth network (it always dies after IP 205.152.92.2).

the easiest way to enforce this is at the connector object. Open the Terminal Service Configuration snapin, double click the RDP-tcp object, under the client settings tab you can force the color depth, resolution would be controlled at the local client, not sure if you can force this setting in GP or not. Also in the TSC snapin you can knock down the encryption level to low under the General tab if you are comfortable with that from a security stand point, this will yield minor performance improvment. these settings will not affect anyone until they log off the TS and log back in.

RoadKi11

Agree with Roadkill, you want the leanest settings going to and from the TS, I general set all users under the RPD options, experience, to "modem", otherwise the bandwidth is soaked up.

Chernobyl disaster..a must see pictorial

OK, I've set the max color depth to be 15 bit, but I cannot find where to set the "modem" under RPD options (I cannot find this). Is it under TS Config or somewhere else?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back