Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Slow support (or none??) from Ipswitch 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

shunter40

IS-IT--Management
Jan 30, 2001
US
I tried to contact Ipswitch three days ago through their contact page on their website, and I receive the automated response, but haven't received an answer from a support person. Here are my questions:
I am running IMail Small Business Server v 8.10
1)I have put an email address in the white list, but their email is still being pulled as spam from the host's Inbound Rules. Am I doing something wrong? What is the best way to allow email from a certain address, without any SPAM filtering?

2) I want to stop all email from a particular IP address. I tried to put their IP address in the Control Access box on the POP3 service tab, but we are still receiving email from them. Is this not the correct way to block IP addresses?

Any help is appreciated

1)I have put an email address in the white list, but their email is still being pulled as spam from the host's Inbound Rules. Am I doing something wrong? What is the best way to allow email from a certain address, without any SPAM filtering?
Flip through the Ipswitch knowledgebase. I seem to remember something about that in there.

2) I want to stop all email from a particular IP address. I tried to put their IP address in the Control Access box on the POP3 service tab, but we are still receiving email from them. Is this not the correct way to block IP addresses?

This mail server is NOT connecting to your via POP3, thats for retrieving mail only, not sending. In the SMTP service setting, click on the Security tab and edit the Control Access Setting in there, not in your pop3 service.

Be careful about blocking IPs like that, that presents a black/white solution, when spam fighting is never black/white. I recomend getting declude junk mail ( or if your on a TIGHT budget, install ASSP in front of your i-mail server (assp.sourceforge.net)

Scott Heath
AIM: orange7288

Thanks, Scott. I will try this. Actually, I'm not using it for SPAM, I'm using it to block IP addresses from whom we've received repeated viruses.
Sue

Sue,
blocking by IP may work, but if the machines that are infected are on a DHCP network you will end up blocking the entire network, thus missing out on legit e-mail.

I would recomend blocking certain attachments, this will do alot more for you then blocking one or two networks. If you want I can find the rules I have written and post them. Imail has them in their KB as well.

Scott Heath

I see what you mean about DHCP, but the virus issue seems to be getting so far out of hand, I'll try anything once. But I'll check the attachment rules on Imail's KB, and see if that isn't a better way to approach the issue.
Thanks!

Sue,
To save you the time, I've gone into my rules.ima file and gotten the rules for you.
Code:
B~name=.*\.exe:!BOUNCE!
B~name=.*\.reg:!BOUNCE!
B~name=.*\.scr:!BOUNCE!
B~name=.*\.pif:!BOUNCE!
B~name=.*\.bat:!BOUNCE!
B~name=.*\.zip:!BOUNCE!
OR
Code:
B~name=.*\.exe:NUL
B~name=.*\.reg:NUL
B~name=.*\.scr:NUL
B~name=.*\.pif:NUL
B~name=.*\.bat:NUL
B~name=.*\.zip:NUL
The 2nd set is better since alot of these virus forge the from address, and you dont want to become an inadvertant spammer.
These rules rarely get used since I have ASSP blocking those same attachments.
Declude offers a 30 day trial for their products, I would seriously recomend you at least check them out (
Scott Heath
SprintPCS ReadyLink? IM ME

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back