Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Slow Stored Procedure using ROWCOUNT

Status
Not open for further replies.

anorthcote

Programmer
Sep 4, 2006
GB
I have the following stored procedure

Code:
CREATE PROCEDURE Test

@LocationID int,
	@StatusID int, 
	@Area int,
	@Contractor int,
	@EnteredBy	Varchar(20)
AS
BEGIN

SET ROWCOUNT 30

SELECT     dbo.Calls.LogID
FROM         dbo.Contractor INNER JOIN
                      dbo.ContractorOrder ON dbo.Contractor.ID = dbo.ContractorOrder.ContractorID RIGHT OUTER JOIN
                      dbo.CallStatus INNER JOIN
                      dbo.Calls ON dbo.CallStatus.ID = dbo.Calls.StatusID LEFT OUTER JOIN
                      dbo.Location ON dbo.Calls.LocationID = dbo.Location.ID LEFT OUTER JOIN
                      dbo.Area ON dbo.Location.AreaID = dbo.Area.ID ON dbo.ContractorOrder.OrderID = dbo.Calls.OrderID
where (@LocationID = 0  OR LocationID  = @LocationID) AND
      (@StatusID   = 0  OR StatusID    = @StatusID)   AND
      (@area       = 0  OR cast(substring(dbo.Area.Name,6,2) as int)  = @area) AND
      (@Contractor = 0  OR ContractorOrder.ContractorID = @Contractor) AND
      (@EnteredBy = ''  OR Calls.EnteredBy = @EnteredBy)

order by LogID Desc

end
GO

I run it in query analyzer using

Code:
exec test 0,0,0,0,''

this will return all records and works ok. If I substitute a value for any of the parameters the procedure will filter by the appropriate value. This, again, works fine for all but @Contractor.

If I put a value in for @Contractor the procedure goes from running in 1 second to over a minute. I have found that if I take out the ROWCOUNT statement it runs quickly again.

Why is the ROWCOUNT adding so much processing time to the procedure and only for @Contractor?

Worked it out!!!

I added a new index to ContractorOrder and it's processing time went down from 6 minutes 16 seconds to under 1 second!!

the reason why a rowcount clause reduces your processing time in the first place is because rowcount stops processing records once 30 are returned.

Therefore, it's likely when you put the @contractor in, the sproc is scanning the contractor table, which is big and not indexed well.

--------------------
Procrastinate Now!

I see you logic but the rowcount clause was actually incresing the processing time, that is why I was confused.

I have now learnt the importance of indexing :)

ahh, yeah, that's cos you've got the order by clause.

means the query has to read in all the values in the table to find out the biggest/smallest before it can order them...

--------------------
Procrastinate Now!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back