Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Slow Startup remedy recommendations for novice

Status
Not open for further replies.

Charliesz

Technical User
Jul 24, 2003
CA
Hello there,

Troubleshooting very slow startup (waiting for 15+ minutes)Mac OS 9.2 on a G4 with 256MB of RAM.
Being a novice to MacOs , not very cetain where to begin.

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Okay, I'm dredging my memory on this and I'm sure someone else will be able to provide more help, but...

When the Mac starts, do you see a lot of icons appear, one at a time, across the bottom of the start screen? If so, each of those represents an extension to the OS that is being loaded. You might want to use the Control Panel and the extensions manager (I might be misremembering the name) to turn off some of them to see if it boots faster.

I remember that the manager lets you make backups of your settings, so you might want to do that first, in case you turn off something you need.

You can start up to the extensions manager by holding the Space bar while booting.

Other things to try:

Rebuild the desktop file (hold Cmd + Option while booting until the message rebuilding desktop appears)

Zap the PRAM (CMD+Opt+P+R while booting) You will hear the boot chime again. Continue to hold the keys until you have heard the chime three times and then release.

Boot from the OS CD and run Disk First Aid on your hard drive. (hold C while booting to boot from CD)

Hope it helps.

Wow JT that almost looked like you knew what you were doing!

Wow, thanks guys, ill try this ASAP. Thanks for the speedy response.

What ive noticed, appletalk might be involed in here? When this computer starts up, it loads desktop (no icons) for 5 minutes then prompt for user/pass for another computer on the network, then i cancel out of it and it keeps loading for another 5 minutes. Then it would prompt for another machine log/pass on the network , i cancel out of it also and it keeps loading for another 5 minutes ...and so on.

I tied unplugging ethernet cable from the machine thinking its the network but that does not remedy the situation.

you may wish to check to see if you are automatically loging into some server at startup, that would be slow if the server no longer exists.

I tried to remain child-like, all I acheived was childish.

Jimbo is probably right on the money.

Wow JT that almost looked like you knew what you were doing!

Go to the Chooser, click on Appleshare, Select the file server you are being connected to, hit OK, log in, there will be a check box to the right of the name of the server you are being connected to. Uncheck that box. Hit OK

KevinInQuincy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back