Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

slow speed when savings file to network

Status
Not open for further replies.

speedy81

MIS
Oct 24, 2001
SG
I recently install a new Dell Poweredge 2600 server running Dual Xeon CPU's and 1GB RAM. Windows 2000 Server with SP3 has been install. This server is my office File&Print server. It also runs DHCP & DNS service

Since this server has gone live 1 month, i have users that are using Windows2000 Pro. complaining that when ever they save Office2000 documents to the network, the repsonds will be very slow and can take up to 2 mins to save a 200K Word Document.

The server is running Dual Network 100mps Network card which has been configure to run as "Fast EtherChannel" Team and is connected to a Cisco 2648 Switch.

Any idea where the lag is from ?

One idea you can try is to look at the port stats on the switch.

Go into the switch, and clear the counters on the ports that the users are connected into. Then have them transfer some large files, and make sure it is going slower than it should be. If it is, go back into the switch and look at the statistic counters where it shows you errors with crc, runts, giants, etc etc.
Also, look for error messages on your switch referring to a "duplex mismatch"

The reason I say this is because I had a similar problem one time. Turns out that a lot of the NIC's I had in the servers were set to Auto duplex, and the switch was set to auto duplex. The bad thing is that the switch detected half duplex, and the servers detected full, and there was a constant problem because of all the packet errors occuring. The fix was to set the server NIC to full duplex, and the switch port also to full duplex. Fixed all of our problems. Seems like 3com 3c9xx cards were pretty bad about reporting the wrong duplex as well, which would cause problems like this. Easiest way to tell was to look at the switch port statistics during large file xfers, and make sure that only the TX/RX counters were going up, and that was it.

Worth a shot anyway.

Brian

Thanks Brian for your post.

I did what you suggested and look at the switch. On the User's workstation, the Intel card shows that it is connecting at 100mbs/FD and on the switch the same.

Server Nic card is fixed at 100mbs/FD . The same setting is also fixed on the Switch port which the server nics are connected.

I did some testing transfering large files from the affected users workstation and the speed is very fast but when i tried to save a word document . The problem came back. I have a feeling it's something to do with the Office2000 package ?

I also have NAV 7.6 running on the server. Will this caused problems ?

I see. I thought you meant it was slow on all files. If it is just doing it on Word files, maybe NAV is set to scan all .doc files being transferred. I guess the only way to test it would be to stop the NAV service on the server and try it. Then if that fixes it, check with Symantec for patches or bug fixes.

Good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back