Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Slow SMTP connection

Status
Not open for further replies.

cblanzy

ISP
May 18, 2001
US
I'm having trouble where only a few users all on the same DSL line are having smtp connection problems. They don't fail entirely, they are just extremely slow. It can take up to two minutes to get a connection. I can telnet to any other smtp server with no speed issues. Only when connection to my mail server is there a speed problem. No other mail clients are having any trouble. I'm at a complete loss as to where to look for the problem. Any help would be appreciated. Any information you need from me just ask. I'm desprate at this point.

If the issue is slow inbound SMTP, try turning off DNS lookups or other DNS-related "safeguards" that would try to validate the other end of the connection.

Generally, network services that have a protracted setup for the connection that takes generally the same amount of lag time are related to DNS services.

Check Life with Qmail for more direction on turning off the DNS lookups.....

Surfinbox.com Business Internet Services - National Dialup, DSL, T-1 and more.

I was googling and saw some chatter about using "-H and -R on tcpserver". That may help your quest.

Surfinbox.com Business Internet Services - National Dialup, DSL, T-1 and more.

I didnt' have much of a hand in the setup of this server. I don't think they followed standard setup procedures found in lwq or any guide for that matter. the tcp serve line is simply

/usr/local/bin/tcpserver -l 0 -g 1001 -u 1002 0 smtp /usr/sbin/relaylock /var/qmail/bin/qmail-smtpd &

Where would i add the -H and -R

is there anything else wrong with the way smtpd is started?

Ok, The -H and -R seemes to have corrected the problem Thansk for the input.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back