Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Slow save as csv - need help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

jdiguy

Instructor
Oct 26, 2004
US
When I save a report as a csv or Excel file, the performance is a total drag!! Besides the macro route, any help would be appreciated, esp. any settings within or outside of the application. Are macros much faster? I can manage the 32K limit by chunking the data, but even 21,000 rows (only a few fields) ran over 18 minutes, which means my job will take about 9 hours!!

jdiguy

(I think this issue is "universal," but for techies, RptSmith 4.2 with PCPW 5.1, Oracle dB, Compac PC P4, 256K memory, 32Mb free on 40Mb disk, XP OS).

Are you running this as a stand-alone or is the database on a separate server?

You might look at the option settings, under tools on the RS screen and tweak the buffers and/or process on the server if possible.

Look at the how the report is structured and use the group by sorting on the server.

Macros are faster. I have used them for various applications. I personally would output the data to a flat file and then pull it into EXCEL if I needed.

You can also use scheduler to run off hours.

Just some thoughts.

David L. Black Consulting

Thanks for the reply. ReportSmith is stand-alone accessing an Oracle database on a server in native mode.

I am using only 1 table, 1 derived field (constant--no functions or formulas). When you say sort on the server, you mean use the group by? I am sorting by 5 fields using the Sort criteria tab.

The table I am hitting is close to 700,000 records, of which I am selecting 10-30K rows (because of the 32K record limit). Is my PC going through all 700,000 records? The report itself loads in a few seconds on my screen.

jdiguy

Yes, I meant the group by, try to reduce the number of records that RS has to process.

Your ADP RS support group should be able to provide you with a sample macro that will produce a fixed length flat file.

I also recall an issue with the max. number of rows that EXCEL can handle. This is a Microsoft restriction not RS.

You may also want to try for known issues.

David L. Black Consulting

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back