Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Slow running Excel 2003 VBA

Status
Not open for further replies.

cheerio

Technical User
May 23, 2002
GB
I have some VBA that reformats a workbook of data downloaded from another system. There is only formatted data - no formulae.

For two of my users the code was running very slowly - typically the task was taking a minute per sheet where I expected under 5 seconds per sheet. All users have similar spec PCs with 2 Gb of RAM and Windows XP and they have similar rights over their PCs.

I identified that the code that was slow running was deleting unnecessary columns and re-ordering other columns. While the code was running screen updating was turned off. When I stepped through the code on their PCs everything was normal.

I also established that if I logged onto the PC of one of the problem users I got normal speeds of around 5 seconds proving that there was nothing wrong with the PC build.

I am giving this as a tip rather than a question because the problem was traced to the choice of default printer by the two problem users. Even though screen updating was off, Excel was clearly making use of the printer driver and the problem printer driver was operating on a different timescale. The printer manufacturer has a name beginning with X.

Hope this helps someone. I was aware that Word could be sensitive to printer drivers but this is the first time I have seen an issue in Excel.

Wow. Good to know. Thanks for posting. Based on the information given I would've guessed the users had a bunch of apps running while they were running the xls.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back