Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Slow retrieval of files.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

DazzaC

Programmer
Jun 10, 2002
GB
I recently added several client machines to a new group wide domain.
However, since adding the client machines whenever the user attempt to go to a drop down to list the files and folders in a directory it takes an age to retrieve the contents of a folder?
The server is a W2K domain controller and the file server is again a W2K server?
Any ideas????

Are the client pc's XP Pro by any chance ?

If so I had the exact same problem, Windows 2000 server domain and XP Pro clients. We managed to dramatically speed things up by
a) Forcing client pc's to use Classic Theme.
b) Forcing client pc's to use Classic view of folders.
c) Preventing thumbnails within classic view of folders.

There is already a very very long thread about this topic on this site (the url escapes me) but if I find it I'll post it here.

Mike,

Yes they are.
Can the theme be set in the policy??? And if so do you know where abouts in the policy I can set this?
Thanks for the help

Can be set by a GPO, found at:

User configuration\administrative templates\control panel\display\desktop themes
Can either force a specific theme, or force classic. You can also remove the themes tab from display properties to prevent users changing the theme back to an XP one.

Mike,

Additional items to optimize your XP clients:

Make sure IEEE Authentication box is unchecked (under Network Connections > Properties > Authentication tab).
This option is used for Wireless network cards. Can cause significant delays when writing (saving) files to the network, as well as logging on to network.

Computer Browser and Web Client services should be disabled (Control Panel > Administrative Tools > Services).
The Computer Browser service on XP will try to be Master Browser on the network. Can cause up to 30 to 45 second delay when logging on to network. Also causes delay when clicking on network share.
The Web Client service is only required if you are doing programming on an Internet web server. Just one more place your computer will look for network resources.

Right click My Computer and select Properties. On Advanced tab, click Performance button. Select Best Performance option.
This can significantly improve performance on local XP client.

Help! I've fallen and I can't reach my beer.
cheers.gif

One other thing you might check, is something I ran into recently.
Check to make sure you dont have a mapped drive to an unavailable resource. It takes the maximum time to timeout before it then gives you a list of files.

Somebody said..

Knowledge is Power....Especially when you share it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back