Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Slow restore in arcserve

Status
Not open for further replies.

tech187

MIS
Jul 28, 2000
US
I have a Dell Poweredge 6300 PIII dual Zeon 550 mgz/3 gigs of ram and 130 gigs of disk space. I am doing a restore of about 80 gigs worth of data most of which are image files. It has been running for over 24 hours at a rate of 50 megs per minute. It is restoring from a DLT 7000 tape drive that is on a internal scsi channel. It has Windows Nt 4.0 server with service pack 5 and Arcserve version 6.5. I have verified there is nothing else running on the server and no one is access it. Does anyone have any idea as to why this restore is so slow. Thanks for any help you might have to offer.  

how long does it take to backup 80gb's of data?  50mb's/min seems pretty fast.

A DLT7000 can shift an awful lot of data, very quickly.&nbsp;&nbsp;I think it can do about 10MB/sec - 600MB/min!<br><br>This is based on 2:1 compression though (I think).<br><br>Bunch of questions:<br><br>Does the DLT share the scsi channel with the disks<br>Are they hardware or software raided<br>What kind of throughput can you expect from your disk subsystem<br>Are you running anti-virus software on the restore target<br>Are the images 600MB ghost images or 15K gif images<br>Is the restore target NTFS or FAT

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back