Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Slow Response

Status
Not open for further replies.

gwzulu

MIS
Jun 13, 2002
US
I have a standalone computer running XP. If I let it sit for a while after the screen saver comes on I get very slow response when I try to use the pc again. It takes quite a while to return to the login screen. It sometimes seems to totally fall asleep and I will finally have to bring the computer down hard. Has anyone else had this problem and if so do you know of a possible fix.

Hi gwzulu,
Just a thought. It could be the Hibernation function, I haven't had this problem myself, but it sounds a likely cause. Check out the help files on this function, and dissable it... Hope this helps!

right-click a blank area of the desktop, Screen Saver, Power Settings, Hibernate, uncheck to Hibernate.

Control Panel, Power Options, check all of the settings for hibernation and other modes.

Thanks everyone. I tried that so let's see if it helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back