Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

slow report in crystal?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kerick

IS-IT--Management
Nov 17, 2000
US
what should I look for in a crystal report that takes forever to load to print preview. or print.

My first question would be: Does it eventually work and report data correctly?

Thadeus

yes it works with correct data... just way to much time 30 mins before printing? Its a basic 1 page report printing for 29 or so vendors.

1 table or multiple with possibly questionable links?

Also do you have formulas that perform calculations?

Thadeus

there are multiple tables involved. I have if then statements choosing fields (to print) based on field data.
no math being done. what would I look for in questionable links?

It may be linking, but the If-Thens are suspect too... how many If-Thens are involved, how many records are you asking it to test?

If you can, insert the If-Then code here...

Thadeus

Here is one

IF {PJM_MASTER__JOB_CONTACT_LIST.Role} = "Project Manager" Then
(IF {ABM_MASTER__CONTACT_1.Type} = "Person" Then {ABM_MASTER__PERSON_1.Person_Name}
Else IF {ABM_MASTER__CONTACT_1.Type} = "Company" Then {ABM_MASTER__COMPANY.Company_Name})

This is another

IF {PJM_MASTER__JOB_CONTACT_LIST.Role} = "Project Manager" Then
(IF {PJM_MASTER__JOB_CONTACT_LIST.Phone} <> &quot;&quot; Then {PJM_MASTER__JOB_CONTACT_LIST.Phone}
Else
(IF {ABM_MASTER__CONTACT_1.Type} = &quot;Person&quot; Then {ABM_MASTER__PERSON_1.Business_Phone}
Else IF {ABM_MASTER__CONTACT_1.Type} = &quot;Company&quot; Then {ABM_MASTER__COMPANY.Primary_Phone}))

a 3rd.

If {PJD_DOCUMENT__DOCUMENT_CONTACT.Document_Index} <> 0 Then 1 Else 0

What type of database is this? Access, SQL, btrieve? It would be very helpful to know.

Software Sales, Training, Implementation and Support for Exact Macola, eSynergy, and Crystal Reports

The biggest contributor to time is not passing the SQL to the database for processing. Check Database->Show SQL Query.

Everything in the record selection formula (report->Edit Selection Formula-Record and Group) should be reflected in the where clause of the SQL.

If you need help optimizing, share specifics such as versions of the software used (CR and database), and post the record selection formula(s) and SQL.

-k

database is pervasive with timberline front end.
the crystal report is printed through timberline on the pervasive db.

When I try database-show query I get the following error
could not open data folder, data folder does not exist, it is not a timberline data folder, or the current operator does not have access.
after that I get the following sql
tsControlData ({@tsDataFolder},&quot;Name&quot; ,&quot;I&quot; )

This is in the record selection but I don't see where it fits in as a where clause?
{PJD_DOCUMENT__SUBMITTAL.Submittal_State} = &quot;Awaiting Receipt&quot; and
{PJD_DOCUMENT__DOCUMENT_CONTACT.Document_Type} = tsCustomDescription ({@tsDataFolder}, 605, &quot;&quot;) and
{PJD_DOCUMENT__DOCUMENT_CONTACT.Contact_Usage} = &quot;Received From&quot; and
{PJD_DOCUMENT__SUBMITTAL.Current_Revision_Sequence} = 1and
{PJM_MASTER__JOB.Job}={?Specific Job}

There isn't anything in the group section

crystal 8.5 , pervasive (2000i)?, timberline 8.21

Sorry, I'm not familiar with that front end, I thought that you were using. The error message may have prevented some of it from showing, if you have performance problems I'd address it with your vendor, they may be using an SP or even a customized form of connectivity.

-k

Sorry, I'm not familiar with that front end, I thought that you were using Crystal. The error message may have prevented some of it from showing, if you have performance problems I'd address it with your vendor, they may be using an SP or even a customized form of connectivity.

-k

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back