Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Slow report due to the subreport

Status
Not open for further replies.

SuperTime

Programmer
Dec 21, 2004
US
Crystal 9
SQL Server database

I need to show the report totals on the top of the Group. And thats why I have a subreport with the exact same data but showing just the totals. which is placed in the group header. And the main report details sections shows the details.

And that is slowing down the report drastically, is there a solution for this? Note I have I have 10 and more different summary fields. So in one thread I saw a solution to create a shared array variables on the subreport... but that wont work for me cause I will have to create 15 shared array variables and even then not sure if that will help this performance issue?

Please advice...

Thanks

Hi,

I expect you can total the fields in the detail section to the group level. Crystal automatically places these summary fields in the group footer. Then drag it up to the group header section. If this works, then you should not need the sub-report.

Thanks.

Sorry they are not summary fields, to be precise they are Running Totals and thats why I cannot just move it to the top.

Are you sure the running totals are necessary?

-LB

Perhaps you can summarize the fields in a stored proc and include that in the report. You can display the summary fields in the group header and the detail level fields in the detail section.

or think about creating a view (add command) that uses some sql to find these totals for you and so completely erasing them from your subreport?

The main report shows data for a date range where as I have the subreport that runs for a different date range to show the totals (the year to date data). And thats why I have to have a subreport, unless there is some other way to do this?

Please advice

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back