Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Slow remote backup speeds using client agent 2000 SP4

Status
Not open for further replies.

securityforums

IS-IT--Management
Sep 7, 2002
GB
I am currently backing up several remote machines

The first two being exchange and SQL using the agent options. Each server has its own dedicated port on a 100meg switch, the throughput for these is always around 350meg/min

This is also backing up remote files.

I seem to be having problems with one server in particular. I am backing up using the client agent rather than expanding network neighbourhood, the directory being backed up is a static archive, simply an NTFS folder which doesnt get used much.

The speeds always drop to 50-80meg/min just for this server, so the backups take 4 hours longer than expected :(

So ive done some speed tests both ways from the problematic to the backup storage server. Copying across the network gives 4-5meg/sec so there are no speed issues between them

I have also checked the client agent options on the problem server and gave the backup agent highest priority. Really dont know what else to check, ive never really touched the client agent, there doesnt seem to be that much that you can actually change there

Any help most appreciated

So copying across the network is 4-6 MB per second, what about a backup across the network? Are there any tid bits in the activity log? Open files? Access violation? Are you using the open file agent at all? Have you kept the service pack levels consistent across the client agent AND ARCserve server? also, make sure the port on the switch is 100 meg full duplex, and that the NIC driver is full duplex as well. I fall else fails, do you get the same result if you uninstall and reinstall the client agent?

sorry about the questions, but the answers would help a little more troubleshooting :)

g

So copying across the network is 4-6 MB per second, what about a backup across the network?

-This is where I am getting the slow speeds, whilst backing up. I have tried copying between the servers and get the good speeds, just did this to elimate collisions, switch problems etc.

Open files? Access violation?

-Nope none at all. It is an archive being backed up, none of the files are in use by IIS for example and the backup is done out of office hours.

Are you using the open file agent at all?

-This is on the server but im assuming it wouldnt be used if the files are not being used. Backing up via client agent

Have you kept the service pack levels consistent across the client agent AND ARCserve server?

-Yep all client agents and the main arcserve storage program are all SP4

also, make sure the port on the switch is 100 meg full duplex, and that the NIC driver is full duplex as well.

-Both the switch port and NIC are set to full duplex, copying between the problematic server and storage server gives a good speed, it only seems to be whilst backing up using the client agent.

I fall else fails, do you get the same result if you uninstall and reinstall the client agent?

-Already tried :( same problem

sorry about the questions, but the answers would help a little more troubleshooting :)

-No problem, ive tried to follow similar logic as yourself, seems to be pointing to using the client agent really. Have actually contacted CA via online email form and not had a response

Oh, the first thing, backup over the network is just that. Not using the client agent, expand in the source screen of backup (MS NETWORK), and expand all the way to the server you wish to use. Then backup via that method and see how slow it is. That is not using the client agent and is backing up through the network. If this is faster then it is definately the client agent, if it isn't it may be something to do with throughput on the drive in relation to that server only? Just a thought.

Have you tried rolling back the client agent to sp3?

g

Hi,

Have you tried disabling Anti virus on source server. We had a problem with slow backup of 50M/Min caused by lots of small files being virus checked. Test copy over network ran at full speed as we tested with a few big files:)

If its Mcafee AV software you need to stop the service - disabling in system tray or switching off outbound scans does not seem to work.

Regards
David

We have also had major problems with McAfee AV, with both ARCserve 2000 and Backup Exec. I think McAfee have now admitted there is a problem and are working on it.

We found that the only way to get Backups to the expected speed was to uninstall the AV software, disabling had a limited effect.

Thanks a lot I am using netshield on both servers! :)

Will give this a go, the only problem is obviously disabling the virus checker overnight leaves the servers open to viruses and is not the best solution, saying that if the backup takes 2 hours rather than 12 it wont be too bad

I will try as suggested and try and backup over the network rather than use the client agent firsts to try and narrow down the problem, if not I will disable AV.

Is there any way to run a batch file on start and on completion / failure of the job.

So for example net start whatevermcafeeserveris
and send this to both the backup and the problematic server to stop mcafee on both?

Ok when backing up over the network
I am getting an appaling 4meg/min!!!!

About 25meg an hour, imagine how long its
going to take to do 60gig!!!

Will try disabling the virus checker next GRRRRRR

Batch files can be run as a pre job and post jobs.

For stopping the remote server as well, I guess using psexec will be able to do it, with sc command:

"sc stop McShield" will do for the local machine,

'psexec \\remoteserver "sc stop McShield"' for remote, there are a load of switches to use as well which may need setting.

You can set ARCserve to wait a few minutes to allow services to stop and there is an sc command which will set service to disabled as well so it won't kick in automatically.

Post job the same but with sc start instead.

Hello again

Ive tried all of the above, infact I reinstalled arcserve on the storage server totally

Am getting 350meg/min to other remote boxes on the lan setup in exactly the same fashion(dedicated port on switch etc. etc.)

Yet i am STILL having problems backing up from one server, the speed is roughly 10-20meg/min its an absolute joke

So ive disabled the virus checker, remove arcserve on the main server and also reapplied the client agent

Tried backing up both through the client agent and 'network' and still getting rubbish speeds

Thinking of setting up another support query with CA, the last time I submitted this it got totally ignored and I can see it taking ages to get sorted out

We had similar problems -- finally isolated to NIC speed and duplexing issues. Someone earlier asked that question. I don't think you answered it. We were running 100 Full (as I recall) to one machine and getting 100 meg/min and 100 Half (again I may be wrong as I am not the transpost guy) to another machine and getting 10 meg/min. All were the same class of machine and fixing the NIC settings fixed the ARCserve backup speed issues.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back