Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Slow receiving internal mail fast sending outside mail.

Status
Not open for further replies.

mmaxx

MIS
Oct 23, 2001
US
To All: Pls. HELP! What do we need to do to correct this problem?

Dual PIII 700 Xeon 2Gb RAM and using the /3Gb switch
1 Gb NIC

E2K Enterprise SP3 and Win2K Adv Srvr SP3 member server
Information Store +10Gb
+4,500 users
>10% ave. CPU Utilization
IS and Logs in same Hardw RAID 5 (3 x 36Gb HDD)
OS in separate Hardw RAID 1 partition (2 x 36GbHDD)
Using Norton NAV ver. 2.5 for E2K

1 GC/DC in same segment at >4% ave. CPU Utilization

If I send an e-mail to an outside internet address, they will receive it within >2 minutes but sending an e-mail to myself will take about +10 minutes. If I send an e-mail from hotmail at 1:00pm I will receive it in Outlook at about 1:14pm but with a time stamped received at 1:01pm.

Users are pissed [evil] (yeah! watsnew?) because the internal mail delivery took less than a minute when we were running E5.5 on a much slower/older server.

Also, when creating new users, RUS fails to automatically create an e-mail address. The only recourse for us is to reboot the server wherein RUS will work for a few hours.

BTW, we have the same 2 problems using E2K SP2 and Win2K SP2, we were hoping SP3 will help [evil]...Oh well...
We are primarily a Micro$oft shop but we are now being pressured to look elsewhere...

Here's some testing I just did:

Using Outlook 2000, if I copy/moved an e-mail to another
opened mailbox it's almost instantaneous.

Using Windows Explorer, copying and writing through the
network 2,700 files at 52Mb to/from Exchange server RAID 5
HDD took 2.5 minutes.

In Exchange server, deleting these 2,700 files took 5 sec.

I'm getting the same delayed emails like you. I have to do a daily reboot of the mail server to avoid this from happening. If anyone have a better solution please post it here.

Hi...I work with mmaxx...just a quick note, tracking a message shows that at 6:45pm the message was submitted to the Catagorizer....then at 7:34pm the message was delivered locally. This was a test message from myself to myself, during a time when usage is not heavy. Hope this helps.

We called MPSS...

They asked us on the phone to run all sorts of tests like dcdiag, winroute, etc. etc. sent MBs of log files...for 5+ hours.

Near the end of the day....since we have 2 storage groups and 3+5 info stores, they asked us to dismount one by one and test again.

Dismounting the one mother of all stores at +7Gb,we were able to send/receive mail fast anywhere.

We created 2 new stores on the first Sto group and started the painful process of moving 50 at a time mailboxes to be evenly split between the 2 new stores.

Am still in the process of moving mailboxes....

WATCH OUT FOR EPISODE 2 !!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back