Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Slow printing, takes about five minutes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

vlad2

Programmer
Jan 9, 2002
US
One of the our customer has problem with printing CR. It prints but takes about five minutes.

What may couse the problem?
Thanks for any suggestions.

Hello,
Various issues slow down the printing.
one of the problems I come across all the time is
Data retrieval.
If the reports involve lot of tables then takes time for retrieving data.One of the answers is stored procedures.Again it also depends on how sp retrieves your data.

thanks for idea.
We have about one thousand customers and all of them print the same report just fine,but only few of them have this problem.I guess it's an environment issue. i mean something wrong with their machine.What it might be?

I see the same problem here at my work place.We have 50 users of particular application.If the number of users is less then the application runs fast thereby the reports and viceversa.The pressure on database is less if less number of users access it.
Regarding environment,yes it depends upon the operating system and rest of application and of course the server.

All our customers use their own .exe and database. so it not a network issue.What else may cause the problem?

Thanks is advance.

Did u chek wether u have verify on every print checked in database menu?
Do u have lot of graphics involved in the report?
Usually slow printing is database related

thanks for these ideas
I've checked the rpt verify on every print is unchecked,no graphics involved in the report.I used few subreport in the report

How fast does the report display, is it fast?

If it displays fast, then it's probably a printer or print spooler issue.

If the environment is identical, including the database and the means for accessing the data, then the only thing that comes to mind is the way that they print, this assumes that the problem isn't how long it takes to display, just to print.

Printers have different values for quality which might slow down printing, and plenty of other factors can cause degradation.

-k kai@informeddatadecisions.com

this is a good question i'm going to find out(i need to call to the customer)
Let's say the report displays fast, then something worng with the printer or pirnter drive.Do you have any idea what i should check in first?

thanks...

Check to see if they're using an older, slower printer, that's the obvious one. If they're using a dot matrix or something like that, you will probably have to switch fonts (use native fonts for the printer) to accomodate what the printer can quickly produce.

Suggest that they try a draft mode on the printer.

The driver may have an update, that's worth a shot too.

They may have print spooler problems too.

-k kai@informeddatadecisions.com

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back