Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Slow Permissions list from Server 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Akart

IS-IT--Management
Nov 14, 2002
AU
Hello,

I am sitting at a win2k workstation and i have a file on my desktop that has permissions set from the domain users list on my win2k server.

If i right click this file and choose properties, a list of permissions is displayed.
This list comprises of:
SYSTEM
Administrators(WORKSTATION\Administrators)
S-1-5-21-982347238472-many more numbers.....

The entry S-1-5-21-982347238472-many more numbers..... (if i wait 30 seconds) ecentually turns in to:
kmay(SERVER\kmay)

Until this happens, i am unable to change any permissions and if i click on the locations button, the active directory will be missing from the list.

Is this normal? or can anyone give me some advice as to why this would take so long.

I can't wait 30 seconds every time i want to set some permissions..... help!

Akart

is this on the actuall DC or are you trying to configure the permissions remotely?

I was trying to change the permissions remotely.

I have now found some more problems with it.
If i try and change the permissions on a fodler on the server from my workstation. I get this message.

"The program cannot open the required dialog box because no locations can be found. Close this message and try again"

This is followed by this message:
"Unable to display the user selection dialog. The parameter is incorrect".

My user has enterprise admin rights...
Akart

ACL (Access Control List) of a file (object), are containing the entries (Access Control Entries - ACE). ACEs are represented by th SID (Security Identifier) of those users/groups. That number that you are seeing is a SID.
When the SID is appearing as number, then the explaination could be that your computer couldn't find, or it will take time to find the Domain Controller that will give the translation of that SID.
Check your network. Check your DNS settings, etc. Difficult to know where the error can be. Most likely that is related with IP name resolution (ie: DNS).

Gia Betiu
gia@almondeyes.net
Computer Eng. CNE 4, CNE 5, MCSE Win2K
new: (just started)

Thanks Gia,

You were right about the DNS. I had our mail server and an external DNS server ip in my settings.
Once i added the DNS of the DC, everything worked fast and proprly)
Thanks again.
=)

Regards,

Akart

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back