Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Slow Performance

Status
Not open for further replies.

irishkid

Technical User
May 4, 2007
ES
Hello,

I have SBS 2008 standard setup as the PDC and the DNS server, I thought it was working ok, but when a workstation joins teh domain it run into performance problems. Normally it hangs at Please wait and when i eventally login (maybe 20 mins) performance is terrible. I have the feeling it it the SBS setup but no idea how to trouble shoot it. On the workstation there are many errors in the even log such as:

DCOM got error "1084" attempting to start the ervice....etc
DCOM got error "1068" attempting to start the service....etc
A time out (30000 milliseconds) was reached while waiting for a transaction response from the SysMain service.
This computer was not able to set up a secure session with a domain controller in domain IRIS due to the following: There are currently no logon servers available.

I have set the DNS on the workstation to point to the DNS server and the IP comes from DHCp.

One thing, if I manually enter the IP address then it logs in pretty quickly, so could be an issue with the dhcp?

Thanks

How did you join the computers to the domain? Did you use the wizard?

If you did not, then remove the computer from the domain and join using the wizard.

I hope you find this post helpful.

Regards,

Mark

Check out my scripting solutions at
Work SMARTER not HARDER. The Spider's Parlor's Admin Script Pack is a collection of Administrative scripts designed to make IT Administration easier! Save time, get more work done, get the Admin Script Pack.

If I try that I get the error message

Server Error

404 - File or directory not found.
The resources you are looking for might have been removed, had its name changed, or is temporarily unavailable.

Any Ideas?

Thanks

I just tried with the USB option and the same result, stuck on Please Wait.

While it is in this Please Wait state I can connect from the SBS 2008 server via remote desktop, and see the please wait state so tehre is no problem in it connecting, very strange.

Sorry to ask but you are replacing servername with your servers name right?

Verify that the DNS on the local PC ONLY has the DNS of your SBS server.

Regards,

Mark

Work SMARTER not HARDER. The Spider's Parlor's Admin Script Pack is a collection of Administrative scripts designed to make IT Administration easier! Save time, get more work done, get the Admin Script Pack.

I can confirm yes to both of those. AM getting to the stage where I am about to physically assault the server :)

I believe this is the cause of my trouble but I have no idea how to resolve it. This is on the workstations where I haev teh poor performance

I am getting this error in the eventlog for new vista workstations that are joining a domain, I have other servers (Win 2003) in this domain which have no problem at all when logging in, but with vista its takes over 10 minutes displaying "please wait", I dod not know if this is the SBS2008 server which is the PDC or the workstations? Been trying to resolve this for days :(

This computer was not able to set up a secure session with a domain controller in domain IRIS due to the following:

There are currently no logon servers available to service the logon request.

This may lead to authentication problems. Make sure that this computer is connected to the network. If the problem persists, please contact your domain administrator.

ADDITIONAL INFO

If this computer is a domain controller for the specified domain, it sets up the secure session to the primary domain controller emulator in the specified domain. Otherwise, this computer sets up the secure session to any domain controller in the specified domain.

I am not sure if this is related but I am unable to ping IP address that come from the DHCP but if the workstation has a static address then there is no problem?

How about deleting the DHCP scope and recreating it?

Regards,

Mark

Actually I think I have just found the problem. Norton Internet Security, I deleted it and 5 reboots later no problems, though I am still seeing that error in the event viewer but I can logon to the domain etc, any one idea what that error actually is?

Ah, the evils of Norton IS. Symantec hasn't put out a decent product since Peter Norton left the company in my opinion.

My experience is that the Symantec line don't play well in SBS networks and I would rip it out personally.

Regards,

Mark

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back