Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Slow PC's, Safemode fine

Status
Not open for further replies.

RABOD

Technical User
Jan 25, 2003
GB
Hi all,

I work for a company who has over 8000 pcs on the network.
We are running a mix of XP and Win2K.

Recently random pcs are running extremely slowly (also giving virtual memory low errors). Openning 'My Computer' for example takes ages.

If I run any of these pc's in safe mode then they run fine. Which makes me think that there is a driver causing the problem.
They are all Dell Pc's
We also have SMS pushing out various software to all pcs. (possibly this has pushed out a bad driver for some software)

What can I do now? runs fine in Safe mode but not in normal mode. What is the best way to locate the culprit causing this problem?

Many Thanks

I will when I'm back at work.
But what am I hoping to achieve by doing this as they are all in different states. By that I mean some are Win2k SP3 or SP4 some are XP SP1 or SP2 (we are not currently allowed to install XP SP3) It's happens on any OS.

I asume as you've asked me to do this you have an idea as to the cause. What's your thinking? :)

It's ok, found it was Mcafee causing the issue. I believe the latest version is trying to be pushed out to all the pc's but causing problems.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back