Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Slow Outlook

Status
Not open for further replies.

blue143

Programmer
Mar 22, 2001
GB
I'm working in a company of about 5 people. Their Outlook is really slow and crashes all the time. Each person has about 10,000 emails (many with large attachments) in both their inbox and sent items. Could this be part of the problem?

Thanks!

Howdy:

Not "could", IS.. get rid of the "sent items", delete the old email that is no longer applicable and then compact the rest !!

10,000 email?? Its a wonder they even have hard-drive space left !!

Murray

Thanks. I figured that was the problem. I mean, its pretty obvious! I've tried to tell them this but without success. Do you know what the maximum number of emails should be roughly? If I can back up my advice with facts they might believe me!

It is not the number of e-mail but the size of the folder that should be the concern and then where the folder is located.

2 GB is the limit for a personal folder. If the file is stored on a network drive you could have problems much sooner than this limit.

Outlook can handle multiple personal folders much better than storing all the data in one huge personal folder. joegz
"Sometimes you just need to find out what it's not first to figure out what it is."

It is usually a good rule of thumb to have less than 100 items or less than 20 MB in the "active" inbox folder. Even if you use PST's, it's still best to keep the inbox folder size down as much as possible. Move all other emails into a separate folder or PST.

Like joegz said, you don't want to exceed 2 GB on any PST (probably best not to go much over 1 GB if possible). ~cdogg

"The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources."
- A. Einstein

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back