Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Slow OS X??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 6, 2004
GB
Hi,

G4 Dual 867Mhz, 1.25GB RAM, OS X 10.2.8

About a week ago my Mac starting running ever so slow, e.g. when switching between applications when have maybe 5 open (Photoshop, Quark, etc). Up until last week I would have had these and a few others open at any one time.

I use Suitcase 11.0.2 to manage fonts.

I really cant understand this as no software or hardware changes have been made recently.

Can anyone help me out?

Are you allowing the system to run nightly automated maintenance (or with Cocktail)? Have you cleaned font caches?

- - picklefish - -
Why is everyone in this forum responding to me as picklefish?

and no i am not allowing the system to run nightly automated maintenance (or with Cocktail)? Should I be??

and no i am not allowing the system to run nightly automated maintenance (or with Cocktail)? Should I be??

I am sure you can guess now. [bigsmile]

OSX will automatically run system utilities overnight to keep your Mac happy. If you prefer not to leave your system on, search for 'cocktail' at More details about what you are missing will be found there.

- - picklefish - -

To clear your OSX font caches, go to Versiontracker.com and download Font Finagler. That will clear most of your caches. And pay the guy - it's worth it.

If you use Adobe apps, they use their own caching. In Finder, use Find to look for "AdobeFnt" (without the quotes). Anything that comes up with ".lst" at the end of the name can be trashed. You might also look for Adobe07Fnt and trash anything with the .lst extension.

Clearing cahces can make BIG diferences in operation - especially if any of the caches have become corrupted.

jmgalvin, how do you let OSX run system utilities overnight?
peace._

Leave the machine on - without sleep. Best to set monitor to sleep, but not the machine.

If you don't want anybody to be able to use the machine overnight, log out.

If you are using Font Book to store fonts and you have very many, this can have a great performance impact.

try manually repairing permissions using disk utility (found in Apps/Utilities/)

| Feedback is always appreciated as this will help to further our knowledge as well |

Hi guys, have been leaving my system on over night this past few nights and have run font finagler and deleted anything with .lst on end when searched for adobefnt and seems am back to normal working order - cheers all

You did of course realize that you didn't have to wait 3 days to do all this?... Cocktail and FontFinagler will get you up and running in a half hour.

- - picklefish - -

Does Tiger deal with this problem?

I installed and configured anacron on all my household Macs, but that's not something I can recommend to my saintly grandmother.....

To Maximusimo: Please pay the Font Finagler guy his 10 bucks. It's worth it. You really should clear caches on regular basis. If a program quits on you, the cache of any font being used in the app can become corrupted.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back