Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

slow opening word document

Status
Not open for further replies.

drashish

Technical User
Feb 28, 2002
US
I have a 31k word file with a template built in (letterhead). It takes almost 20 seconds to open. I have several of these files with letterheads (in headers and footers). It only does it with these files, as my normal formated open with out delay. I noticed that it does a virus scan internally when it opens the files. I'm not sure if these documents have macros but that is possible. Without changing anything in the document, how get I get to open these files fast because I need to proof read several dozen of them.

I had one of these when Word 97 first came out. I pulled my hair out trying to make it "GO". (It was a corporate template handed down from the powers that were.) Turned out that the corporate logo graphic was a 3.4 megabyte bitmap image!!! Turned it into a compressed GIF and all was well!

There's always a better way. The fun is trying to find it!

Yeah, mine did too... the image was linked to the template and not an actual part of it. Took me a few hours to figure it out and then another 20 minutes to find the darned thing. Turned out that the fool who installed it on the PC I inherited set it up as a hidden file and buried it in the\Windows\System32 folder - the one with about a zillion .dll files.

There's always a better way. The fun is trying to find it!

I have been fighting this problem for weeks and think I figured it out today. The slow opening docs were created from a template that no longer exists on the network. Go into Tools/Templates and Add-Ins and clear out the Document Template field then SAVE.
The doc opens fast again!

-- Codemech

I wrote a macro to change the template back to normal --

Sub test()
'
' test Macro
' Macro recorded 4/15/2004 by Codemech
'
With ActiveDocument
.UpdateStylesOnOpen = False
.AttachedTemplate = "Normal" ' THIS IS THE KEY LINE
End With