Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Slow Opening Word Docs

Status
Not open for further replies.

smittywes38

Technical User
Apr 16, 2004
US
Hello Folks,

I have a number of Word Docs saved on my desktop. It takes about 15-18 seconds to open any one of them.
If however I open Word first and then search to open the docs in word they open quickly.
Anybody have any suggestions how to get the docs to open faster if I launch them from the desktop?

Thank You,

Smitty

My home machine can be slow because it has virus checking. Does it say anything about this?

Also which version of Word? If it's a recent one, does it treat the different documents as files on the same copy of Word? Or does it open Word several times? (You can check this by closing the document and seeing if there is still a copy of Word with nothing in it, and a separate Word with another document.)

Also ,aybe the desktop isn't the best place to store a lot of data. You can put document in a file and then store short-cuts on the desk-top

[yinyang] Madawc Williams (East Anglia, UK). Using Windows XP & Crystal 10 [yinyang]

Hello Folks,

Thanks for the reply. The version of Word is 2002 with service pack 3. Word opens pretty fast. It is only the docs off the desktop that open slow.
The documents were created with this version and when closing the docs Word closes as well.
I have increased the pagefile but this did not seem to make any difference.

Smitty

First I suggest moving the documents off your desktop and saving them in My DOcumetns. Then start WOrd and test opening a document from My Documents: is it still just as slow?

If ti is still slow, try deleting and reinstalling your printer making sure thast you have the latest driver for your OS.

Let us know if that helps at all.

Regards: tf1

I appreciate your attention to this matter folks and have found a solution even though I am not sure what exactly was taking place.
Within Word I opened up the "Help" tab menu and found the choice to "Detect and Repair". Upon running this help I can now open up the docs with substantial speed.
I would assume that loading Office there are links established so docs can search and find where Word is rapidly. I figure this link may have been corrupted. Whatever it was has been fixed with the "Detect and Repair" option.

Thanks again folks.

Smitty

If the problem is ONLY when you double-click on a file to open it. the
problem is likely due to DDE. It can be fixed by reinstalling, OR this
workaround.

Go to Control Panel, Folder Options, File Types, scroll down to and
select file extension, click Advanced, select Open entry, click the "Edit" button.
Uncheck "Use DDE" and then put your cursor in the Application path,
go to the right and put in "%1" (including quotes), IF there is /dde remove it. Then press OK.
Do it for each Office extension that works slow, however I do not suggest to do it for those that work fine.

Try opening the files, it should work fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back