Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Slow opening mail in OWA 2003

Status
Not open for further replies.

RISHIDSHAH

Technical User
May 24, 2002
GB
I have a problem with OWA. My setup is as follows:

One front-end Exchange 2003 on Windows 2003 Server
One back-end Exchange 2000 SP3 on Wibdows 2000 SP4.

Both servers are on a gigabyte lan and the back-end server serves approximately 100 cleints. Currently the frot is still Our database is just 8Gb is size.

The OWA is configured to use SSL and i have created a certificate by putting certificate services on one of our domain controllers. The problem is whether i try OWA from inside my LAN or from outside through the firewall, when i click on a message to open it it takes about 15 seconds for the mail to open and be shown.

This happens inside the LAN or from outside so its not a bandwidth issue.

From within the lan the SSL certificate is recognised as being issued by a trusted authority (our DC) but still the 15 second delay so again i think it might not be the SSL but i could be wrong.

Any Advise.

Thanks,

Rishi

One of our users have difficulty with OWA loading her mail box, while others are fine. Could be the 6,600 items of mail in her main inbox. I have encourage her to move them to sub folders, but she has yet to.

There's a 2003 whitepaper called "The effects of Mailbox size on Exchange Server performance"

Might be worth a glance.

I had enabled high compression and in the basic client the time to open mail was 5 seconds and 15 seconds in the full cleint. Problem is my people like the full client. Most of our users are below 300Mb mailbox size size. There are just 3 to 4 people who ate around 800Mb.

However its not just the users, even if i create a test account with just a handful of mail i still get this problem.

Our backend mail server is a Dual 3GHz Xeon with 4Gb of RAM, running Exchange Enterprise. The Database is on a raid 10, the OS on a seperate Raid 1 and the transaction logs on a seperate raid 1. Thus the backend is quite high spec.

I had this problem with frontend owa on owa2000 also and though the 2003 might make it better. Havig said that the basic client definately makes it better, i just want to find a way of making the front end better.

Rishi

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back