Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Slow node on a network

Status
Not open for further replies.

NiteRuleR

Programmer
Jul 2, 2000
GB
I am having problems running one node on a home network
The node can copy to other computers on the network, but when it is recieving it is very slow
A 5 meg file takes 15 minutes to copy one way, and 1 second the other way

The network is runing 3 PC's on 100Mbits Bi-Directional network cards, with a 10/100 switching hub linking them,
2 of the PC's work perfectly together, while the other 1 has the problem stated above when recieving from both the other PC's, even though all the PC's have the same network settings (that I can see)

2 of the PC's are running Windows ME, while the other one is running Windows 98 (the one thats not working is running ME)

The PC that is not working has an IP of 192.168.0.1 while the other 2 are 192.168.0.2 and 192.168.0.3 and they are all on the Mshome workgroup

All PC's have TCP/IP and IPX/SPX installed

If you need any more information or you can help, please reply
Thanks

It could possibly the distance from the hub, or the distance the signal has to be carried. Another theory is how fast your computer can send and receive data. If it has a slower hard drive etc. The other thing which I can't think of right now is (window size) I recently had to change this to speed up my internet connection, Im not sure if this is also true for transfering information across networks. Try hooking only two up, the bad one and another and test it that way. Oh, Are the network cables crossing any other wiring. This has caused problems with my network.

Hope any of this helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back