Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Slow network performance

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheAggie

Programmer
Aug 27, 2002
US
I got a new work laptop (HP EliteBook).

I have gotten everything setup and loaded but noticed yesterday when I was copying a large file from the network that the network speed was pathetic. I did an Internet Speed Test to confirm and using the same network cable I got 40MBit download for my old laptop (Dell M70) but only 1.5MBit for my new laptop. I went through all the network configuration setting and they seem the same. Both are set to 100/full and have the same protocols enabled.

Note: When I am doing the test on the new laptop the Task Manager Network Performance Tab shows less than 1% network utilisation.

Any body know what could be throttling (choking) my network performance.

Make sure you are using the latest drivers for the NIC.

As far as the 1% network utilization, even when pulling packets quickly, I often still only see maybe 2~5% utilization. Honestly I don't pay much attentio to the % of bandwidth on a PC/laptop, as much as if it's doing something or not...

Someone here recommended trying setting the network card Link to AutoDetect rather than 100/full.

Problem Solved!

But ... it was set to 100/full because on a machine I had before the card was not detecting the network properly and folding back to 10MBit.

Darned if you do, darned if you don't.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back