Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Slow Network Browsing

Status
Not open for further replies.

manthor

IS-IT--Management
Nov 4, 2000
CA
Hi Everyone!!

Ok I've been searching for a solution to this for a bit. I have a Windows 2000 SP1 Server running 20 clients from win 95, 98, 98SE, and Win ME and they all take forever browsing the network (15-30 sec). It's not only browsing the network but also with there home dir. For example if someone is using a word document and go to save it, when they choose their home dir the app will just hang there for 20/30 sec, or Windows will just crash. There hasen't been a problem with logins(nice and speedy) but when you go to my computer it just hangs for a bit tryng to view any of the maped drives.
Any suggestions would be helpfull, and Greatly appretiated!!

Thanks,

Eric.

If you have 20 clients make sure that NetBEUI is not running on them. Make sure that the DNS/WINS is configured properly on the Windows 2000 server and the client side.

I am having the same problem, I agree with FairbanksF. I am running third party DNS(comes with Wingate). It seems to be the cause. I have two servers, one old Novell and one W2K. If you figure out, let me know.

Thanks

Don't know if this applies, but I would make sure you are at least running SCSI drives (or even better, a RAID config) in any shared environment. Speedy logins are a sign that DNS/WINS is probably functioning properly. If this is an IDE drive and someone has an open connection to that drive (e.g. Outlook Personal Folders stored on the shared drive) Windows will have a major problem trying to let anyone else access the drive (as IDE is not multithreaded hardware, SCSI is).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back