Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Slow Netscape 4.7x performance?

Status
Not open for further replies.

skelly

Programmer
Mar 21, 2000
US
Visit site
I'm using Caldera OpenLinux 2.3 with Netscape 4.72 (just upgraded from 4.7 which also does it) and I'm having really slow response time. I get a lot of &quot;stalled&quot; messages during downloads, and pages take about twice as long in general to load. Doesn't seem to disconnect very much, but just slow responses. This has happened with 2 different ISP's connecting at the same speed as I usually do with Windows 95/NT. I'm using an IBM Thinkpad with a US Robotics 28.8 PCMCIA modem. Any ideas?<br><br>Thx,<br>SK<br>

Got a few ideas...&nbsp;&nbsp;First one is, get a quicker modem!&nbsp;&nbsp;28.8 is a little slow these days, especially if you're browsing some graphics rich sites at the same time.<br><br>Next, disable Java in Netscape.&nbsp;&nbsp;This is notorious for causing Netscape to crash as soon as it gets a sniff of JAva on a web page.&nbsp;&nbsp;Disabling Java shouldn't affect your surfing too much, and will help in the long run.<br><br>Also, can you try using a different FTP tool to download a file and compare this with Netscape's performance?&nbsp;&nbsp;ie, command line <A HREF="ftp://FTP.&nbsp" TARGET="_new">FTP.&nbsp</A>;&nbsp;Download the same 1Mb+ file twice - once with Netscape, once with command line FTP - time how long it takes for each and compare the results.&nbsp;&nbsp;(You might want to do this a few times to get an accurate comparison.)<br><br>If command line FTP works better, try using that in preference to using Netscape.&nbsp;&nbsp;(You'll also avoid problems with half-downloaded files hanging around from Netscape crashes! ;^)<br><br>Also, try using Lynx to surf with.&nbsp;&nbsp;Do you *really* need to use Netscape?&nbsp;&nbsp;I've had similar problems to the ones you describe, and I tend to use Lynx to surf when I just need info, and switch to Netscape when I need the eye candy :)&nbsp;&nbsp;You'll be amazed at how quickly things can download when you take out the graphics...<br><br>You could also try setting up a caching-nameserver on your box.&nbsp;&nbsp;This can be tricky, but most distributions come with pre-configured caching BIND servers.&nbsp;&nbsp;IP addresses will get cached locally and save Netscape from doing lots of expensive DNS lookups (which it seems to like to do at every opportunity...&nbsp;&nbsp;it even fires up a process called &quot;dns-helper&quot; that runs all the time.)&nbsp;&nbsp;I tried this on my Mandrake box, and it helped.&nbsp;&nbsp;Not massively, but there is a small difference.<br><br>On a final note, consider installing Apache and setting it up as a caching proxy.&nbsp;&nbsp;While you're at it set up the &quot;mod_rewrite&quot; module to filter out all those ad banners that can take forever to download.&nbsp;&nbsp;(Suggested new Doubleclick slogan:&nbsp;&nbsp;&quot;We server a billion banners a day from three crusty servers that will slow down your surfing experience to a crawl&quot; &lt;/whinge off&gt; :) There's details on doing this in April's Linux Journal, and I'm going to be trying this myself in the very near future.<br><br>Hope this helps.&nbsp;&nbsp;Let us know how you get on.

I am reading a lot of complaints with Netscape 4.72. Everything from memory leaks to systems hanging. Try going back to 4.70 <p>Michael Regan<br><a href=mailto:mregan@bccs-ca.com>mregan@bccs-ca.com</a><br><a href= Cat Computer Systems</a><br>Black Cat Computer Systems build Linux servers and work<br>
stations for the small office. Our systems feature the AMD<br>
line of processors. They are an excellent balance of price,<br>
performance and reliability.<br>

Something I'm actually doing at the moment is browsing using the KDE file manager - kfm - and it's working a treat! A heck of a lot better than Netscape! Been browsing for about 1 1/2 hours, and not had a crash yet :) Speed is excellent, but there are a few minor display issues with tables, etc. Might be worth trying :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back