Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Slow name resolution 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

conniew

MIS
Nov 18, 1998
US
I just began working in a UNIX/NT4/WTS environment that is loaded with problems. Most of the users have been coverted over to thin clients but a few are still on PCs. The other day we had a power outage and although the servers stayed up, all the PCs lost power. When they powered up the next morning, users were unable to connect to their home directories or use applications that pointed to files on the UNIX server where their home directories are located. Since we were able to map a drive using IP addresses we realized that there was something wrong with IP/Netbios name resolution. I noticed that the thin clients had no WINS addresses but the PCs did. On asking I discovered that they have (or supposed to have) a WINS server in another state. Apparently it was not functioning. On removing the WINS IP addresses from the PCs and restarting, their home directories were once again mapped...however, now we have a few that start up with an error saying it can't find the resource \\admin\username. If you cancel this and wait a few seconds, the drives map anyway. They come up in Explorer with red x's but when clicked on the x's disappear and you are able to browse the folders. I know I need to get with the WINS administrator (when he can be located) but until then can someone explain what's going on to me? I'd sure appreciate some help. TIA

Hmmmm......I think that a probable cause is that when you log onto a server you have the option to logon to all resources or you can do a quick logon, which will connect a user to the server but not check the readiness of the mappings. With quick logon you can see the mappings but the actual resource will only connect after you access the drive. The option for this is under Netwrok properties, client for microsoft networks. See if the settings is set for Quick logon or logon and restore connections. I think this might be the issue<br>
<br>
Hope this helps.

It can also been down to the speed of the WINS server hardware as to whether it can give out addresses quickly enough to whoever asks. cf problems with DHCP addresses.<br>
<br>
You might also check whether your switches use spanning tree protocol which can also slow things down in a morning and cause the same problems...<br>
<br>
Zelandakh

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back