Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Slow Menus

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 24, 2003
GB
Is anyone else experiencing a problem with slow menus on Win 2003? I have a new installation which seems fine in other areas - the general speed of the server is fine and accessing files/folders through windows explorer is fast enough, but when accessing the program menu or other menus that have sub-menus they are taking 3 or 4 seconds to appear. This happens when on the server or when accessing via terminal services. Any suggestions would be helpful - thanks.

If DNS and Wins are not set up correctly it will be very slow.

DougP, MCP

Thanks - we are using WINS which is set up correctly, but not DNS since it is part of an NT 4 domain. Wouldn't that affect more than just the menus anyway? I should add that we are running plenty of Windows 2000 servers with no issues. Thanks.

I've experienced the same thing, on nearly all windows 2003 servers I've installed. Even on fresh installs with nothing configured. Different hardware or subnets doesn't seem to matter, I've seen it happen in both vmware installation and in real environment.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back