Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Slow machine

Status
Not open for further replies.

CiscoPD911

Technical User
Sep 27, 2006
US
I have tried everything I know to make this computer faster and is just dragging. I have stopped programs at startup from running on the backround. I cleaned the Temporary Internet Files, deleted cookies. Virus scanned, checkdisk, defragmented. What else can I do. Please help.

What processor speed do you have? How much video ram do you have? What speed is your hard drive and how much free space do you have? How much RAM do you have installed?

There are lots of things you can do. It sounds like you've done all about you can with what you have installed, you could always reinstall Windows. Upgrading your RAM, processor, hard drive and/or video card could always help.

Cheers
Rob

There is a 96mb video ram. 40gb 7200 19gb free. 248mb ram and page file 304mb used, 442mb available. I even updated all HP system drivers. thank you for your help. possibly i need to upgrade RAM. anything else?

thank you,

Your spec should run windows xp ok, with a light load.

The page file used figure - 304MB - is that immediately after booting? If so, you've still got some hogs in there (shouldn't be more than 200, and really less) If you run Norton or McAfee AV/Security Centre, consider ditching it and using something like free AVG. Have you run anti-spyware scans - spyware most common cause of slow machines. If you haven't, I'd run several scans (with one or more of spybot, adaware, windows defender, avg anti-spyware).

You also haven't given comparative info - like how slow it is compared to when it was running what you consider reasonably. and when slowness started (and any hardware/software changes around the same time).

PS. A RAM upgrade is always a good idea - adding another 256 or 512 would make a difference - but you should get to root of current problem too.

How many processes do you have running and have verified that they are legal one?

The processes are listed in the task manager.

Never Say Never (Romeio Void)

Homebuilt MSI MD5000MD-5000 M-ATX, 2.4Gig, 393mb, WinXp Pro
Homebuilt Iwill KK266R-Plus, 768mb, WinXp Pro

windows XP running very slow
thread779-796508

Make sure the indexing service is not running. If it's a P4, keep in mind that if it overheats it will automatically slowdown to protect itself. Use a quality anti-spyware program like SpySweeper...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back