Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Slow Logons

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 20, 2002
US
I was wondering if anybody is having this problem:
We are running Citrix Program Neighborhood 6.01.961 on workstations with OS Windows2000. After clicking the shortcut to access the citrix server, the user usually ends up waiting for 1 min or longer for the logon prompt to come up. We have also seen this run longer on different workstations.

It seems that it may be directly related to the Mcafee Virus Scanning software on these pcs. I have tested the logons with Mcafee disabled and notice a dramatic difference in speeds for the logon.

Anybody experience this? or have any suggestions as to fix this problem?

thanks
John

Sounds like you answered your own question. Have you checked McAfee's website for updates or fixes? Is it an older version of McAfee?

Mj

I don't use McAfee myself but it might be worth checking the config of McAfee on the client workstations; is there anything that can be turned off, such as heuristics?

As mattjurado sys, the best solution is probably to look for software updates / knowledge base articles on the McAfee website.

Thanks for the suggestions, matt & john. I will see what they say.

As far as virus scan goes, we are on:
mc vshield 4.0.3
scan engine 4.1.60

thanks again

It could also be related to the bitmap cache - I encountered the same problem, but we have NAV. Disabling Norton helped a bit, but it was still slow.
It turned out that the users bitmap cache was getting toolarge. I had them clear it out, and everything was fine.
On the client go to Citrix Prog. Neighborhood - Tools - ICA Settings - Bitmap Cache - and clear the cache. Just make sure they are logged off first.

I turned it off -
Right click on the ICA connection Icon in Citrix Neighborhood- Properties - Options Tab - uncheck the Use Disk cache for bitmaps. You can just turn it off there.

There is a specificc problem with McAfee and Citrix. Go into McAfee and then go to the area that selects files to scan. Take out the .ini line. Also check off only inbound scanning but I believe that it is the ini extension that is causing the problem.

Try getting the latest updates for your Antivirus S/W.

I would definitely recommend updating you AV SW
"mc vshield 4.0.3
scan engine 4.1.60"
above is out-of-date by quite a while now, Shold be running VScan v4.5.1SP1 DAT 4252 Engine 4240 (@ time of writing)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back